Lifer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesMusic Review BlogMovie Review BlogRegisterLog in

Share  | 

What needs to be done?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Bidley
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
Bidley

What needs to be done? - Page 6 Vide
PostSubject: Re: What needs to be done?   What needs to be done? - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 11:48 am

Rosalind wrote:
Ziegenbartami wrote:
I'm having the same problem as Aaron and I'm using Firefox Neutral

Intriguing, seeing as Im using firefox fine Neutral

Me too.
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
Rosalind

PostSubject: Re: What needs to be done?   What needs to be done? - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 1:20 pm

Right, so I've been digging around as to the cause of this automatic disappearance of unread topics, and sadly its a bug in the code that has their techies a little stumped.

The way the new post system works is that it flags all new posts since your last visit. This means if you log off with some new posts flagged up, you will have still visited the forum, even if not to that specific post. This means when you log out and back in again they will disappear; it will only show posts made between the time you log out and back in again. This is a normal for these boards.

What, however, isnt normal is the process of automatically logging you out after 15 minutes (this is also a situation observed by others). This auto-logging out issue can be simply rectified by ensuring the 'keep me logged in' box is ticked next time you log in. You might think this would disable the logout timer, but it seems whoever implemented it was a retard Mad

Instead of simply disabling it, it logs you out and then back in once more when you refresh. There appears to be no fix for it sadly, but there is a fix you can implement yourself. So long as you refresh any page within this 15 minute period, it will still register you as active (and hence all the posts will be flagged as unread).

If, however, it takes significantly less time than 15 minutes, its probably an issue with your cache; empty your cache and cookies and the problem should be solved. Well...sort of.
Back to top Go down
http://lifer.heavenforum.com
turkeyballs
Into the Pit
Into the Pit
turkeyballs

PostSubject: Re: What needs to be done?   What needs to be done? - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 4:24 pm

Remove the Cattle Decapitation story from the Official News Thread. I seriously doubt its authenticity.
Back to top Go down
LegionOvDoom
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
LegionOvDoom

PostSubject: Re: What needs to be done?   What needs to be done? - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 4:27 pm

turkeyballs wrote:
Remove the Cattle Decapitation story from the Official News Thread. I seriously doubt its authenticity.

I'm pretty sure everyone already knows it's fake and is a publicity stunt for their new album.
Back to top Go down
http://tonsotunes.blogspot.com/
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
Rosalind

PostSubject: Re: What needs to be done?   What needs to be done? - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 4:27 pm

turkeyballs wrote:

What Dale said. Thought it was fairly obvious tbh...
Back to top Go down
turkeyballs
Into the Pit
Into the Pit
turkeyballs

PostSubject: Re: What needs to be done?   What needs to be done? - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 5:14 pm

Rosalind wrote:
turkeyballs wrote:

I was aware of that. Most people weren't, though, judging by some of the posts on the old group's wall. Because of that, I assumed that some of the admins were also unaware. I should've taken my thoughts that extra step, though. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
Rosalind

PostSubject: Re: What needs to be done?   What needs to be done? - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 5:18 pm

turkeyballs wrote:
Rosalind wrote:
turkeyballs wrote:

I was aware of that. Most people weren't, though, judging by some of the posts on the old group's wall. Because of that, I assumed that some of the admins were also unaware. I should've taken my thoughts that extra step, though. Embarassed

Heh, to be fair I just copied across the news section from the FB group. We still need to organise who's gonna keep it updated though...
Back to top Go down
LegionOvDoom
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
LegionOvDoom

PostSubject: Re: What needs to be done?   What needs to be done? - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 6:03 pm

Rosalind wrote:
turkeyballs wrote:
Rosalind wrote:
turkeyballs wrote:

Heh, to be fair I just copied across the news section from the FB group. We still need to organise who's gonna keep it updated though...

Well, really. Do you think we need to keep something like that updated when the whole section is basically a news section?
Back to top Go down
truewalrus
Into the Pit
Into the Pit
truewalrus

PostSubject: Re: What needs to be done?   What needs to be done? - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 6:07 pm

I didn't read the whole thread because I'm kind of lazy, so I apologize in advance if any of this has been mentioned or if this isn't the right place to mention it.

Anyways, these aren't really bugs, more as they are suggestions.
- The genres should each have their own forums (possibly as sub-forums), that way, instead of just hording everything into one post, people can make their own thread or use the search button to revive old threads. As it stands now, eventually, there are going to be 20+ pages in all of the genre threads and people are going to start responding to unknown original posts or re-posting stuff that has been mentioned hundreds of times already.
- If you guys do plan on doing this, each forum could have like a stickied post for new users telling them to search before they post, a list of bands, and/or acceptable posting content.

Just my two cents...
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/truewalrus
AarO)))n
Hellbent for Lifer
Hellbent for Lifer
AarO)))n

PostSubject: Re: What needs to be done?   What needs to be done? - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 6:08 pm

Why not just make one news section for music and one for general. Leave it open for anyone to post in. It is not as though someone is going to post stories of Korn and Slipknot everyday. I think everyone here knows what stories are Lifer Metal approved.

Last edited by AarO)))n on Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/musickfreeck
LegionOvDoom
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
LegionOvDoom

PostSubject: Re: What needs to be done?   What needs to be done? - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 6:19 pm

truewalrus wrote:
I didn't read the whole thread because I'm kind of lazy, so I apologize in advance if any of this has been mentioned or if this isn't the right place to mention it.

Anyways, these aren't really bugs, more as they are suggestions.
- The genres should each have their own forums (possibly as sub-forums), that way, instead of just hording everything into one post, people can make their own thread or use the search button to revive old threads. As it stands now, eventually, there are going to be 20+ pages in all of the genre threads and people are going to start responding to unknown original posts or re-posting stuff that has been mentioned hundreds of times already.
- If you guys do plan on doing this, each forum could have like a stickied post for new users telling them to search before they post, a list of bands, and/or acceptable posting content.

Just my two cents...

I wanted to avoid doing this, because that's a ton of sub-forums, but maybe we can put it to a poll.
Back to top Go down
Nautilus
Mantooth
Mantooth
Nautilus

PostSubject: Re: What needs to be done?   What needs to be done? - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 6:22 pm

Rosalind wrote:
So whilst I didn't find that, I got side tracked by a new option. If there are unread posts in a thread, you can click the little arrow and it will automatically take you to the last one you didn't read \o/

That's what I was talking about.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/iwokeuptoday
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
Rosalind

PostSubject: Re: What needs to be done?   What needs to be done? - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 6:24 pm

truewalrus wrote:

This was considered but decided against for a number of reasons.

1) It would cause issues for those many that fall under multiple categories. Where would Heavy/Power go? Death/Doom? Blackened Thrash? And so on.
2) You can fit 50 threads to a single page. The facebook group has about 1500 threads, im betting no more than half on metal. 20 sides will take a long time to reach.
3) There is a working search function. Look up onto the navbar. You can find it denoted under 'Search' Razz

If the place gets active enough then we may revisit the issue, but for now it'll just cause more problems than solutions.
Back to top Go down
truewalrus
Into the Pit
Into the Pit
truewalrus

PostSubject: Re: What needs to be done?   What needs to be done? - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 6:36 pm

LegionOvDoom wrote:
I wanted to avoid doing this, because that's a ton of sub-forums, but maybe we can put it to a poll.

That is a problem indeed. I don't really know how one would go about solving that.

Rosalind wrote:

1) It would cause issues for those many that fall under multiple categories. Where would Heavy/Power go? Death/Doom? Blackened Thrash? And so on.
2) You can fit 50 threads to a single page. The facebook group has about 1500 threads, im betting no more than half on metal. 20 sides will take a long time to reach.
3) There is a working search function. Look up onto the navbar. You can find it denoted under 'Search' Razz

If the place gets active enough then we may revisit the issue, but for now it'll just cause more problems than solutions.

- I was thinking that the bands that don't fall under either would go in the main part (not the sub forums) or in just whatever sub forum the poster felt they are more of.
- I meant 20 pages per thread, it's going to be a lot of material to have to read through to catch up on the current discussions.
- The problem with the search function, is that if you find something that's 20 pages in on a thread, and you reply to it, things get confusing so it doesn't really serve a purpose currently. If it's sub forum/thread based, then you can revive old threads to restart a discussion.

Generally, all of this only becomes a problem if the threads do indeed get to be 20+ pages long.

However, you're probably right, things would probably be really confusing and there would be a lot of inactive forums so perhaps it's better to keep it as it is.
Back to top Go down
LegionOvDoom
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
LegionOvDoom

PostSubject: Re: What needs to be done?   What needs to be done? - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 6:55 pm

truewalrus wrote:
LegionOvDoom wrote:

That is a problem indeed. I don't really know how one would go about solving that.

Rosalind wrote:

- I was thinking that the bands that don't fall under either would go in the main part (not the sub forums) or in just whatever sub forum the poster felt they are more of.
- I meant 20 pages per thread, it's going to be a lot of material to have to read through to catch up on the current discussions.
- The problem with the search function, is that if you find something that's 20 pages in on a thread, and you reply to it, things get confusing so it doesn't really serve a purpose currently. If it's sub forum/thread based, then you can revive old threads to restart a discussion.

Generally, all of this only becomes a problem if the threads do indeed get to be 20+ pages long.

However, you're probably right, things would probably be really confusing and there would be a lot of inactive forums so perhaps it's better to keep it as it is.

The only thing that I could see working for this place would be to have grouped sub-forums like "Doom/sludge/stoner" or "Thrash/Speed" "Grind/Death" "Black Metal/Blacker Metal"
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
Rosalind

PostSubject: Re: What needs to be done?   What needs to be done? - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 7:07 pm

truewalrus wrote:
LegionOvDoom wrote:

Rosalind wrote:

Arguments already arise over whether something should be defined as metal or not. Can you imagine what would happen over whether something is more power than thrash? Or what would happen if someone less knowledgeable got things wrong? The problem is when they fall into both.

As for the pages issue adding sub forums wont do much to help the problem. Theres a handy 'view last post' button now, so you can pick up where you left off. I can also increase the number of posts per page so it needs less clicking. If things become side-tracked in one particular thread then the topic can be split into a new one.

Reply to someone using a quote. Theres a button for it, then everyone can see who you're replying to, and what you're replying to.

EDIT: To Dale: I'd want to split it even less than that; Simple "Extreme" (death, black, thrash) and non (Power, Doom, Traditional).
Back to top Go down
truewalrus
Into the Pit
Into the Pit
truewalrus

PostSubject: Re: What needs to be done?   What needs to be done? - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 7:17 pm

Rosalind wrote:
Arguments already arise over whether something should be defined as metal or not. Can you imagine what would happen over whether something is more power than thrash? Or what would happen if someone less knowledgeable got things wrong? The problem is when they fall into both.

As for the pages issue adding sub forums wont do much to help the problem. Theres a handy 'view last post' button now, so you can pick up where you left off. I can also increase the number of posts per page so it needs less clicking. If things become side-tracked in one particular thread then the topic can be split into a new one.

Reply to someone using a quote. Theres a button for it, then everyone can see who you're replying to, and what you're replying to.

EDIT: To Dale: I'd want to split it even less than that; Simple "Extreme" (death, black, thrash) and non (Power, Doom, Traditional).

Fair enough. However, the "Extreme" and "non" sounds like a pretty good idea. Although, I guess even then, bands like Brimstone, Raintime, or Into Eternity still have some trouble getting classified. I guess it's probably a better idea to wait and see how things play out before any major changes.
Back to top Go down
Ziegenbartami
Mantooth
Mantooth
Ziegenbartami

PostSubject: Re: What needs to be done?   What needs to be done? - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 7:24 pm

[quote="Rosalind"]
truewalrus wrote:
I like this idea. I usually check a sub-section if it's red (meaning unread), and there are threads that remain unread, especially under 'Metal Discussions', where I ignore threads pertaining to metal sub-genres I don't listen to much. Since my tastes lie more with extreme metal, I would be able to just focus on that sub-section, rather than metal as a whole.
Back to top Go down
LegionOvDoom
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
LegionOvDoom

PostSubject: Re: What needs to be done?   What needs to be done? - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 7:46 pm

Rosalind wrote:

you may be on to something there.
Back to top Go down
Nautilus
Mantooth
Mantooth
Nautilus

PostSubject: Re: What needs to be done?   What needs to be done? - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 8:09 pm

I think we should wait and see as far as our activity goes. I really don't see the need to split it up as such if it's just going to be us but if somehow we become a larger forum we might need to.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/iwokeuptoday
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
Rosalind

PostSubject: Re: What needs to be done?   What needs to be done? - Page 6 EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 7:53 am

Nautilus wrote:
I think we should wait and see as far as our activity goes. I really don't see the need to split it up as such if it's just going to be us but if somehow we become a larger forum we might need to.

Agreed. If we expand enough that it becomes problematic then we can address the situation then. For now, there's still other concerns on my mind.
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
Rosalind

PostSubject: Re: What needs to be done?   What needs to be done? - Page 6 EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 8:31 am

So a few times i've found myself looking for a smiley that didn't exist. So I added them Very Happy

Notably:

What needs to be done? - Page 6 147871 What needs to be done? - Page 6 501240 What needs to be done? - Page 6 568384 What needs to be done? - Page 6 72624 What needs to be done? - Page 6 326664 What needs to be done? - Page 6 959991
Back to top Go down
LegionOvDoom
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
LegionOvDoom

PostSubject: Re: What needs to be done?   What needs to be done? - Page 6 EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 8:47 am

Rosalind wrote:
So a few times i've found myself looking for a smiley that didn't exist. So I added them Very Happy

Notably:

What needs to be done? - Page 6 147871 What needs to be done? - Page 6 501240 What needs to be done? - Page 6 568384 What needs to be done? - Page 6 72624 What needs to be done? - Page 6 326664 What needs to be done? - Page 6 959991

You think we could get rid of some of the gay ones? Like: :alien: :cat: :monkey: :pig: rabbit :bball: :bom: :albino: :cherry: :rendeer: queen king jocolor flower

I would like to keep Greg, though: afro
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
Rosalind

PostSubject: Re: What needs to be done?   What needs to be done? - Page 6 EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 8:51 am

LegionOvDoom wrote:
Rosalind wrote:

Notably:

You think we could get rid of some of the gay ones? Like: :alien: :cat: :monkey: :pig: rabbit :bball: :bom: :albino: :cherry: :rendeer: queen king jocolor flower

I'd rather keep a backup on my HDD, just in case we want to return them (im a horder), but when I get back to my main PC i'll fix it.
Back to top Go down
Ziegenbartami
Mantooth
Mantooth
Ziegenbartami

PostSubject: Re: What needs to be done?   What needs to be done? - Page 6 EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 9:38 am

LegionOvDoom wrote:
Rosalind wrote:

Notably:

Yeah seriously--what's up with the animals? scratch
And a flower? THERE'S NO FLOWERS IN METAL!!!!1 What needs to be done? - Page 6 902689
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What needs to be done?   What needs to be done? - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

What needs to be done?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 9 Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Lifer :: News :: Ideas and Suggestions -