FAQHomeCalendarSearchMusic Review BlogMovie Review BlogRegisterLog in

Share  | 
 

 What is your nationaility/ethnicity?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
Christoff Odendaal
Into the Pit
Into the Pit
avatar

Posts : 146
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 25
Location : South Africa

PostSubject: Re: What is your nationaility/ethnicity?   Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:02 am

son_ov_hades wrote:
Christoff Odendaal wrote:
son_ov_hades wrote:
Christoff Odendaal wrote:
My paternal roots are originally German but also has French, Dutch and even Malaysian blood (supposedly). Like in America, it`s also impossible to trace definate roots for any one individual in South Africa becaus we had so much cross-breeding going on. But my surname is German, my grandmother on my father`s side is French, my mother`s family is Dutch and somewhere in the past I`m apparently also Malaysian.

In summary: I`m a bastard tongue

Malay?!? That's not something I would have guessed, but pretty cool.

Nor I. They told us that at some family gathering we went to a few years back. Some of our hardcore racist relatives refuse to accept it, but their are documents and such suggesting one of my forefathers had something for ethnic slaves Razz

I was gonna make a joke about how that doesn't go with the traditional Afrikaans image of "purity", but figured it'd be disrespectful. Hey at least I know you're not of those hardcore racists. tongue LOL

Nah, mang. Racism is for the birds Razz I DO have many racist friends and/or family, though. But that`s unavoidable in our current socio-political circumstances. It`s not too severe, though.
Back to top Go down
son_ov_hades
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
avatar

Posts : 358
Join date : 2009-09-08
Age : 31
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: What is your nationaility/ethnicity?   Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:07 am

Christoff Odendaal wrote:
son_ov_hades wrote:
Christoff Odendaal wrote:
son_ov_hades wrote:
Christoff Odendaal wrote:
My paternal roots are originally German but also has French, Dutch and even Malaysian blood (supposedly). Like in America, it`s also impossible to trace definate roots for any one individual in South Africa becaus we had so much cross-breeding going on. But my surname is German, my grandmother on my father`s side is French, my mother`s family is Dutch and somewhere in the past I`m apparently also Malaysian.

In summary: I`m a bastard tongue

Malay?!? That's not something I would have guessed, but pretty cool.

Nor I. They told us that at some family gathering we went to a few years back. Some of our hardcore racist relatives refuse to accept it, but their are documents and such suggesting one of my forefathers had something for ethnic slaves Razz

I was gonna make a joke about how that doesn't go with the traditional Afrikaans image of "purity", but figured it'd be disrespectful. Hey at least I know you're not of those hardcore racists. tongue LOL

Nah, mang. Racism is for the birds Razz I DO have many racist friends and/or family, though. But that`s unavoidable in our current socio-political circumstances. It`s not too severe, though.

Well you guys have only had less than 2 decades to get over the racial stuff, so it's somewhat understandable. I mean hell slavery ended here 143 years ago and people are more racist now than in a long time. I guess having a black president brings out all the racists. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Monkzum
Overlord of Pain
Overlord of Pain
avatar

Posts : 301
Join date : 2009-09-07
Age : 24
Location : London

PostSubject: Re: What is your nationaility/ethnicity?   Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:16 am

there are actually very few racist people in England, or maybe more accurately London because a whole load of it is made up of ethnic minorities. The divide between white people and foreign people at my school is almost a 50:50 split. People (particularly in our generation) no longer give a shit and that's good. I think that by the time our generation are in our fourtees/fiftees racism will be well into the past except for a tiny portion. This may sound ridiculous but there are hardly any racist people my age and eventually the older racists will die.
Back to top Go down
son_ov_hades
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
avatar

Posts : 358
Join date : 2009-09-08
Age : 31
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: What is your nationaility/ethnicity?   Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:05 pm

Monkzum wrote:
there are actually very few racist people in England, or maybe more accurately London because a whole load of it is made up of ethnic minorities. The divide between white people and foreign people at my school is almost a 50:50 split. People (particularly in our generation) no longer give a shit and that's good. I think that by the time our generation are in our fourtees/fiftees racism will be well into the past except for a tiny portion. This may sound ridiculous but there are hardly any racist people my age and eventually the older racists will die.

Honestly I think a lot of it has to do with England still being 90% white. Do you have any prominent minorities in high political office? That seems to be what brings out the racists, you'd surprised at how many people are fine with other races until they have power.
Back to top Go down
AarO)))n
Hellbent for Lifer
Hellbent for Lifer
avatar

Posts : 2140
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 41
Location : Los Angeles WEST SIDE BITCHES

PostSubject: Re: What is your nationaility/ethnicity?   Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:11 pm

son_ov_hades wrote:

Honestly I think a lot of it has to do with England still being 90% white. Do you have any prominent minorities in high political office? That seems to be what brings out the racists, you'd surprised at how many people are fine with other races until they have power.

I don't think there are that may people that have a problem with it. I think that those who do just get more coverage. Why show the guy how could care less, when you can show the openly racist guy toting a gun and screaming racial epithets. I think that race has come a long way. But the crazies will always get more publicity.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/musickfreeck
Sage
On Parole
On Parole
avatar

Posts : 28
Join date : 2009-09-15
Age : 24
Location : Massacusetts

PostSubject: Re: What is your nationaility/ethnicity?   Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:22 pm

Irish, French, Italian, British, and Dutch. Some Scottish and maybe even a bit of Native American blood is hidden in there too.

Mixed, but nothing terribly unusual.
Back to top Go down
son_ov_hades
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
avatar

Posts : 358
Join date : 2009-09-08
Age : 31
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: What is your nationaility/ethnicity?   Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:26 pm

AarO)))n wrote:
son_ov_hades wrote:

Honestly I think a lot of it has to do with England still being 90% white. Do you have any prominent minorities in high political office? That seems to be what brings out the racists, you'd surprised at how many people are fine with other races until they have power.

I don't think there are that may people that have a problem with it. I think that those who do just get more coverage. Why show the guy how could care less, when you can show the openly racist guy toting a gun and screaming racial epithets. I think that race has come a long way. But the crazies will always get more publicity.

Sure but the idea that racism isn't a factor anymore is missing the full picture.
Back to top Go down
AarO)))n
Hellbent for Lifer
Hellbent for Lifer
avatar

Posts : 2140
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 41
Location : Los Angeles WEST SIDE BITCHES

PostSubject: Re: What is your nationaility/ethnicity?   Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:37 pm

son_ov_hades wrote:

Sure but the idea that racism isn't a factor anymore is missing the full picture.

True. But I don't think it is as prevalent as some may want us to believe. Even those who do still have these views are vastly out numbered by those who don't. I think this generation sees these views as old and antiquated. It is much harder to keep people locked away from people of other races then ever before. With the internet and things like that. I think racism is something that may actually die off. Perhaps not in our time, but in at least a few generations perhaps.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/musickfreeck
Nautilus
Mantooth
Mantooth
avatar

Posts : 526
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 28
Location : moonlight is bleeding out of your soul.

PostSubject: Re: What is your nationaility/ethnicity?   Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:09 pm

Why be racist, when you can be sexist?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/iwokeuptoday
AarO)))n
Hellbent for Lifer
Hellbent for Lifer
avatar

Posts : 2140
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 41
Location : Los Angeles WEST SIDE BITCHES

PostSubject: Re: What is your nationaility/ethnicity?   Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:11 pm

Nautilus wrote:
Why be racist, when you can be sexist?

Why be a sexist, when you can be sexy. Wink I love you
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/musickfreeck
Nautilus
Mantooth
Mantooth
avatar

Posts : 526
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 28
Location : moonlight is bleeding out of your soul.

PostSubject: Re: What is your nationaility/ethnicity?   Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:39 pm

AarO)))n wrote:
Nautilus wrote:
Why be racist, when you can be sexist?

Why be a sexist, when you can be sexy. Wink I love you

What's wrong with being sexy?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/iwokeuptoday
AarO)))n
Hellbent for Lifer
Hellbent for Lifer
avatar

Posts : 2140
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 41
Location : Los Angeles WEST SIDE BITCHES

PostSubject: Re: What is your nationaility/ethnicity?   Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:45 pm

Nautilus wrote:
AarO)))n wrote:
Nautilus wrote:
Why be racist, when you can be sexist?

Why be a sexist, when you can be sexy. Wink I love you

What's wrong with being sexy?

Nothing. That is why I said why bother being sexist when you can be sexy. Was I not clear? Trust me, I know there is nothing wrong with being sexy. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/musickfreeck
Nautilus
Mantooth
Mantooth
avatar

Posts : 526
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 28
Location : moonlight is bleeding out of your soul.

PostSubject: Re: What is your nationaility/ethnicity?   Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:46 pm

AarO)))n wrote:
Nautilus wrote:
AarO)))n wrote:
Nautilus wrote:
Why be racist, when you can be sexist?

Why be a sexist, when you can be sexy. Wink I love you

What's wrong with being sexy?

Nothing. That is why I said why bother being sexist when you can be sexy. Was I not clear? Trust me, I know there is nothing wrong with being sexy. Wink

Oh you're a naughty one, Saucy Jack.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/iwokeuptoday
Christoff Odendaal
Into the Pit
Into the Pit
avatar

Posts : 146
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 25
Location : South Africa

PostSubject: Re: What is your nationaility/ethnicity?   Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:39 am

son_ov_hades wrote:
Christoff Odendaal wrote:
son_ov_hades wrote:
Christoff Odendaal wrote:
son_ov_hades wrote:
Christoff Odendaal wrote:
My paternal roots are originally German but also has French, Dutch and even Malaysian blood (supposedly). Like in America, it`s also impossible to trace definate roots for any one individual in South Africa becaus we had so much cross-breeding going on. But my surname is German, my grandmother on my father`s side is French, my mother`s family is Dutch and somewhere in the past I`m apparently also Malaysian.

In summary: I`m a bastard tongue

Malay?!? That's not something I would have guessed, but pretty cool.

Nor I. They told us that at some family gathering we went to a few years back. Some of our hardcore racist relatives refuse to accept it, but their are documents and such suggesting one of my forefathers had something for ethnic slaves Razz

I was gonna make a joke about how that doesn't go with the traditional Afrikaans image of "purity", but figured it'd be disrespectful. Hey at least I know you're not of those hardcore racists. tongue LOL

Nah, mang. Racism is for the birds Razz I DO have many racist friends and/or family, though. But that`s unavoidable in our current socio-political circumstances. It`s not too severe, though.

Well you guys have only had less than 2 decades to get over the racial stuff, so it's somewhat understandable. I mean hell slavery ended here 143 years ago and people are more racist now than in a long time. I guess having a black president brings out all the racists. Laughing

Hey! You can finally quote! Cheers

What I find strange, though, is that the most racist whites are often those who are exposed to other cultures most. The farmers, for example. Many of them are constantly exposed to the black cultures and even learn their langauges, but, overall, the most farmers are openly racist. I`m not suggesting anything here, but it`s a bizarre fact about our society. I guess the cultural differences are just too severe sometimes...
Back to top Go down
son_ov_hades
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
avatar

Posts : 358
Join date : 2009-09-08
Age : 31
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: What is your nationaility/ethnicity?   Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:22 pm

Oh yeah? That's somewhat peculiar.
Back to top Go down
Christoff Odendaal
Into the Pit
Into the Pit
avatar

Posts : 146
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 25
Location : South Africa

PostSubject: Re: What is your nationaility/ethnicity?   Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:05 am

Just found out from my dad that our 'supposed' Malaysian ancestor was nothing but a slave at the Christening of one of her mistress`s babies... Interestingly enough, though, he told me an Afrikaans geneticist did some tests and said the average Afrikaner has 15-20% non-European blood in him.
Back to top Go down
SWIFT
The Philosopher
The Philosopher
avatar

Posts : 20
Join date : 2009-09-11
Age : 33
Location : Birmingham, AL

PostSubject: Re: What is your nationaility/ethnicity?   Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:46 pm

I thought I'd replied a few months back. Anyway my nationality is American and ethnicity is African. I'm not sure what part of Africa though. I address myself as black since "African American" sounds stuffy.

According to a lot a family members there's also some Indian (Native) in our family since my great great grandmother was one. I don't mention it much at all since most black people I know always say they have Indian in their family. Mad
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/swiftclassic
son_ov_hades
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
avatar

Posts : 358
Join date : 2009-09-08
Age : 31
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: What is your nationaility/ethnicity?   Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:44 pm

SWIFT wrote:
I thought I'd replied a few months back. Anyway my nationality is American and ethnicity is African. I'm not sure what part of Africa though. I address myself as black since "African American" sounds stuffy.

According to a lot a family members there's also some Indian (Native) in our family since my great great grandmother was one. I don't mention it much at all since most black people I know always say they have Indian in their family. Mad

One of the great tragedies about slavery(assuming you are descended from slaves, if not I apologize) is the loss of family history. I know a black guy who only knew his family was from Nigeria because of DNA testing.
Back to top Go down
F3NR1Z
The Philosopher
The Philosopher


Posts : 10
Join date : 2009-12-13
Age : 44
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: What is your nationaility/ethnicity?   Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:13 am

I guess I'm the 1st Aussie here.
Heritage predominantly English/UK area.

I guess that makes me a convict.
Back to top Go down
http://tworldscollide.com.au
Mostafa
Into the Pit
Into the Pit


Posts : 213
Join date : 2009-09-07
Location : Egypt

PostSubject: Re: What is your nationaility/ethnicity?   Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:41 am

Wow. First time I see this thread. You have Arab ancestors Geoff ? didnt know that, expalins your interest in middle eastern cultures though. tongue

I'am Egyptian, so were my ancestors.
Back to top Go down
LegionOvDoom
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
avatar

Posts : 575
Join date : 2009-09-07
Age : 34
Location : North East PA

PostSubject: Re: What is your nationaility/ethnicity?   Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:23 pm

I figured that my nationality was a given, as you all know I live and was born in the states. I was speaking more along the lines of my heritage. I know I'm an American, nationally speaking.

_________________
“Bad taste creates many more millionaires than good taste.”
-Bukowski

Writing Blog:http://manic-frustration.blogspot.com/
Music Blog:http://tonsotunes.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down
http://tonsotunes.blogspot.com/
LegionOvDoom
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
avatar

Posts : 575
Join date : 2009-09-07
Age : 34
Location : North East PA

PostSubject: Re: What is your nationaility/ethnicity?   Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:25 pm

son_ov_hades wrote:
SWIFT wrote:
I thought I'd replied a few months back. Anyway my nationality is American and ethnicity is African. I'm not sure what part of Africa though. I address myself as black since "African American" sounds stuffy.

According to a lot a family members there's also some Indian (Native) in our family since my great great grandmother was one. I don't mention it much at all since most black people I know always say they have Indian in their family. Mad

One of the great tragedies about slavery(assuming you are descended from slaves, if not I apologize) is the loss of family history. I know a black guy who only knew his family was from Nigeria because of DNA testing.

You have to admit, though, that any slave owner who changed the last names of their slaves to White had some sense of humor.























jocolor And don't give me shit for that.

_________________
“Bad taste creates many more millionaires than good taste.”
-Bukowski

Writing Blog:http://manic-frustration.blogspot.com/
Music Blog:http://tonsotunes.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down
http://tonsotunes.blogspot.com/
son_ov_hades
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
avatar

Posts : 358
Join date : 2009-09-08
Age : 31
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: What is your nationaility/ethnicity?   Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:53 am

Mostafa wrote:
Wow. First time I see this thread. You have Arab ancestors Geoff ? didnt know that, expalins your interest in middle eastern cultures though. tongue

I'am Egyptian, so were my ancestors.

Yeah in all likelihood. My grandmother can trace her family origins to the area around the Jordan river, in fact her maiden name is Jordan. Plus anyone who has Spanish ancestry almost always has some Arab blood too. When Arabs ruled Spain they intermarried with Spaniards quite often.
Back to top Go down
son_ov_hades
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
avatar

Posts : 358
Join date : 2009-09-08
Age : 31
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: What is your nationaility/ethnicity?   Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:55 am

F3NR1Z wrote:
I guess I'm the 1st Aussie here.
Heritage predominantly English/UK area.

I guess that makes me a convict.

My uncle is Australian and once someone asked him where his family came from, his response was "jail mostly". haha
Back to top Go down
F3NR1Z
The Philosopher
The Philosopher


Posts : 10
Join date : 2009-12-13
Age : 44
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: What is your nationaility/ethnicity?   Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:32 pm

son_ov_hades wrote:
F3NR1Z wrote:
I guess I'm the 1st Aussie here.
Heritage predominantly English/UK area.

I guess that makes me a convict.

My uncle is Australian and once someone asked him where his family came from, his response was "jail mostly". haha

Its a standard joke I guess Smile
Where in Australia is your uncle? I'm from Adelaide in South Australia.
Back to top Go down
http://tworldscollide.com.au
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: What is your nationaility/ethnicity?   

Back to top Go down
 

What is your nationaility/ethnicity?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5 Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Lifer :: General :: General Discussion -