FAQHomeCalendarSearchMusic Review BlogMovie Review BlogRegisterLog in

Share  | 
 

 The Wall

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
Author Message
AarO)))n
Hellbent for Lifer
Hellbent for Lifer
avatar

Posts : 2140
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 41
Location : Los Angeles WEST SIDE BITCHES

PostSubject: Re: The Wall   Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:53 am

son_ov_hades wrote:
AarO)))n wrote:
son_ov_hades wrote:
Other than the vocals, which were pretty bad, I don't see how this is a bad cover.

The vocals were atrocious. The music was bland. It was a paint by numbers cover, they did nothing to put their own stamp on it. Unless horrible vocals and vanilla styling is their stamp. Otherwise mission accomplished. I can't say I have heard a worse cover in recent memory, and I am including the KSE cover of Holy Diver.

I know you have a soft spot for their early work. So I understand why you may feel the need to take it easy on them. tongue

All this is true, but by doing nothing other than playing the song how it was originally written does a bad cover make. Really bad covers are the ones that try to rewrite the song and in turn butcher it. Calling this the worst cover ever just doesn't make sense to, most pointless cover maybe, but not worst. Oh and I don't take it easy on them, that album is god awful. In fact this cover is probably the best thing on it haha.

Perhaps that is the difference. The way I see it if you are going to cover a song, a classic one at that, then do something with it. Otherwise what is the point? I could just hear the original. I say this as a HUGE fan of covers. I am a sucker for them. I have always enjoyed hearing people take on songs, classic or otherwise. I just feel if you are going to cover it do something with it. Even if it is bad at least you tried something new. Instead they put horrible vocals a top a great song that is played pretty much like the original. Like I do when I sing on Rock Band. Perhaps not worst ever, but definitely in the top 5.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/musickfreeck
son_ov_hades
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
avatar

Posts : 358
Join date : 2009-09-08
Age : 31
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: The Wall   Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:06 pm

AarO)))n wrote:
son_ov_hades wrote:
AarO)))n wrote:
son_ov_hades wrote:
Other than the vocals, which were pretty bad, I don't see how this is a bad cover.

The vocals were atrocious. The music was bland. It was a paint by numbers cover, they did nothing to put their own stamp on it. Unless horrible vocals and vanilla styling is their stamp. Otherwise mission accomplished. I can't say I have heard a worse cover in recent memory, and I am including the KSE cover of Holy Diver.

I know you have a soft spot for their early work. So I understand why you may feel the need to take it easy on them. tongue

All this is true, but by doing nothing other than playing the song how it was originally written does a bad cover make. Really bad covers are the ones that try to rewrite the song and in turn butcher it. Calling this the worst cover ever just doesn't make sense to, most pointless cover maybe, but not worst. Oh and I don't take it easy on them, that album is god awful. In fact this cover is probably the best thing on it haha.

Perhaps that is the difference. The way I see it if you are going to cover a song, a classic one at that, then do something with it. Otherwise what is the point? I could just hear the original. I say this as a HUGE fan of covers. I am a sucker for them. I have always enjoyed hearing people take on songs, classic or otherwise. I just feel if you are going to cover it do something with it. Even if it is bad at least you tried something new. Instead they put horrible vocals a top a great song that is played pretty much like the original. Like I do when I sing on Rock Band. Perhaps not worst ever, but definitely in the top 5.

I agree with everything you said, but that doesn't make it a bad cover. They played the song perfectly and the vocals suck, so in that regard it's not good. However, simply not doing anything different is as I said, pointless. Pointless=/=bad

This is probably the worst cover I've ever heard.
Back to top Go down
AarO)))n
Hellbent for Lifer
Hellbent for Lifer
avatar

Posts : 2140
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 41
Location : Los Angeles WEST SIDE BITCHES

PostSubject: Re: The Wall   Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:20 pm

son_ov_hades wrote:

I agree with everything you said, but that doesn't make it a bad cover. They played the song perfectly and the vocals suck, so in that regard it's not good. However, simply not doing anything different is as I said, pointless. Pointless=/=bad

This is probably the worst cover I've ever heard.

To each there own. The first time I heard her cover it took me about 2 minutes into the song to know i had not downloaded the wrong one. This was the early days of Napster when you could get anything. She said they sent her a shit load of Slayer merch. Don't imagine she wears much of it.

I see your Amos and raise you this abortion. Something new yes. But did not work.

Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/musickfreeck
AarO)))n
Hellbent for Lifer
Hellbent for Lifer
avatar

Posts : 2140
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 41
Location : Los Angeles WEST SIDE BITCHES

PostSubject: Re: The Wall   Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:41 am



Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/musickfreeck
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
avatar

Posts : 1632
Join date : 2008-05-13
Age : 30
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: The Wall   Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:07 am

That Novembers Doom has a decent drummer, but its a shame about everything else :/

I see your post and raise you Salome. Sludgey Funeral Doom. Id suggest listening to "Vivification of Kur" first, as it only gets slower from then on.
Back to top Go down
http://lifer.heavenforum.com
AarO)))n
Hellbent for Lifer
Hellbent for Lifer
avatar

Posts : 2140
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 41
Location : Los Angeles WEST SIDE BITCHES

PostSubject: Re: The Wall   Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:27 pm

Rosalind wrote:
That Novembers Doom has a decent drummer, but its a shame about everything else :/

I see your post and raise you Salome. Sludgey Funeral Doom. Id suggest listening to "Vivification of Kur" first, as it only gets slower from then on.

To be honest. I did not even hear that November Doom song. Just another band I see talked about that I thought others may enjoy. Will check out the Salome though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/musickfreeck
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
avatar

Posts : 1632
Join date : 2008-05-13
Age : 30
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: The Wall   Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:09 pm

AarO)))n wrote:
Rosalind wrote:
That Novembers Doom has a decent drummer, but its a shame about everything else :/

I see your post and raise you Salome. Sludgey Funeral Doom. Id suggest listening to "Vivification of Kur" first, as it only gets slower from then on.

To be honest. I did not even hear that November Doom song. Just another band I see talked about that I thought others may enjoy. Will check out the Salome though.

It should be getting reviewed in the next couple of days.
Back to top Go down
http://lifer.heavenforum.com
AarO)))n
Hellbent for Lifer
Hellbent for Lifer
avatar

Posts : 2140
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 41
Location : Los Angeles WEST SIDE BITCHES

PostSubject: Re: The Wall   Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:16 pm

Rosalind wrote:
AarO)))n wrote:
Rosalind wrote:
That Novembers Doom has a decent drummer, but its a shame about everything else :/

I see your post and raise you Salome. Sludgey Funeral Doom. Id suggest listening to "Vivification of Kur" first, as it only gets slower from then on.

To be honest. I did not even hear that November Doom song. Just another band I see talked about that I thought others may enjoy. Will check out the Salome though.

It should be getting reviewed in the next couple of days.

Their album is free on Last FM. Might save you the time to upload it. They remind me of Samothrace. Good find Thomas.

EDIT: GREAT FIND Thomas!!!! Has a little Burning Witch/Khanate feel to the music also.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/musickfreeck
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
avatar

Posts : 1632
Join date : 2008-05-13
Age : 30
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: The Wall   Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:10 am

Uploading it now. Amusingly, the rar file is 66.66mb Razz
Back to top Go down
http://lifer.heavenforum.com
AarO)))n
Hellbent for Lifer
Hellbent for Lifer
avatar

Posts : 2140
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 41
Location : Los Angeles WEST SIDE BITCHES

PostSubject: Re: The Wall   Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:35 pm

“Even under normal circumstances, I would’ve been happy to help the guys out in any way I could as I think Avenged Sevenfold are a great band…but under these incredibly sad and tragic circumstances, I must say I am truly honored to have been asked to play with them and I didn’t even have to think twice about saying ‘yes.’

These guys are a true family and it is an incredibly emotional experience to be here with them for the first time without their lost brother. But they have welcomed me into the family with open arms and there’s a real excitement to make the record they had set out to make.

I am treating my participation on this album with the utmost respect for Jimmy’s memory and am remaining as true as possible to the drum parts that he wrote for the songs and the record he wanted to make.

I want their fans to realize that I’m not trying to step into or fill The Rev’s shoes…I’m just merely lacing ‘em up for him!”

- Mike Portnoy

http://www.theprp.com/2010/02/18/news/dream-theater-drummer-comments-on-recording-with-avenged-sevenfold/
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/musickfreeck
Peter
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
avatar

Posts : 377
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 25
Location : Denmark

PostSubject: Re: The Wall   Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:05 pm

This sucks so much balls. Since season 5 of supernatural have started there have been 15 weeks where no episodes where run (counting the break that just started...) This is just balls.
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
avatar

Posts : 1632
Join date : 2008-05-13
Age : 30
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: The Wall   Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:00 pm

Peter wrote:
This sucks so much balls. Since season 5 of supernatural have started there have been 15 weeks where no episodes where run (counting the break that just started...) This is just balls.

This is why I watch seasons of shows in blocks when its all finished. Im currently half way through Season 4 of Dexter.
Back to top Go down
http://lifer.heavenforum.com
AarO)))n
Hellbent for Lifer
Hellbent for Lifer
avatar

Posts : 2140
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 41
Location : Los Angeles WEST SIDE BITCHES

PostSubject: Re: The Wall   Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:33 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/musickfreeck
Christoff Odendaal
Into the Pit
Into the Pit
avatar

Posts : 146
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 25
Location : South Africa

PostSubject: Re: The Wall   Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:30 am

Hmm... I just watched Full Metal Jacket and I don't quite know what to make of it. I'm not quite sure if I should call it a masterpiece or utter garbage. Has anyone watched this? Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Bidley
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
avatar

Posts : 570
Join date : 2009-09-07
Age : 32
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: The Wall   Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:37 am

Masterpiece.

_________________
See this? This is a sensibly-sized signature.
Back to top Go down
AarO)))n
Hellbent for Lifer
Hellbent for Lifer
avatar

Posts : 2140
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 41
Location : Los Angeles WEST SIDE BITCHES

PostSubject: Re: The Wall   Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:34 am

Stanley Kubrick = masterpiece

R. Lee Ermey = masterpiece

Therefore, Full Metal Jacket = masterpiece

Aside from the hitting. My basic training was much like what was depicted in the movie.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/musickfreeck
Peter
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
avatar

Posts : 377
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 25
Location : Denmark

PostSubject: Re: The Wall   Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:11 am

Is it just me or is facebook max phail right now, I can't acces groups and pages and looks like they deleted some script on the things I can acces.
Back to top Go down
Christoff Odendaal
Into the Pit
Into the Pit
avatar

Posts : 146
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 25
Location : South Africa

PostSubject: Re: The Wall   Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:39 pm

AarO)))n wrote:
Stanley Kubrick = masterpiece

R. Lee Ermey = masterpiece

Therefore, Full Metal Jacket = masterpiece

Aside from the hitting. My basic training was much like what was depicted in the movie.

Really? Interesting. Then I must concede: Full Metal Jacket = Masterpiece.
Back to top Go down
The Gozzfather
Mantooth
Mantooth
avatar

Posts : 508
Join date : 2009-09-07
Location : ZooMass

PostSubject: Re: The Wall   Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:28 pm

Christoff Odendaal wrote:
Hmm... I just watched Full Metal Jacket and I don't quite know what to make of it. I'm not quite sure if I should call it a masterpiece or utter garbage. Has anyone watched this? Thoughts?

I really liked it.

Private Joker:
How can you shoot women or children?


Door Gunner:
Easy! Ya just don't lead 'em so much! Ain't war hell?


Now that's metal!
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
avatar

Posts : 1632
Join date : 2008-05-13
Age : 30
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: The Wall   Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:41 pm

So an album I downloaded came with a free trojan which infected my system. It basically modified a file and told it my HDD wasn't that size, which caused it to blue screen on startup. I ran an antivirus (I have windows installed on a second hard drive in case shit like this happens) and deleted it, before thinking "I probably needed that file." So then I copied across the file from my second installed copy of windows to the first and everything was fixed.

I'll let you know if the album was worth it.
Back to top Go down
http://lifer.heavenforum.com
A Lawn Mower
Into the Pit
Into the Pit
avatar

Posts : 187
Join date : 2010-01-11
Age : 27
Location : Atlanta / Greensboro

PostSubject: Re: The Wall   Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:41 pm

Rosalind wrote:
So an album I downloaded came with a free trojan which infected my system. It basically modified a file and told it my HDD wasn't that size, which caused it to blue screen on startup. I ran an antivirus (I have windows installed on a second hard drive in case shit like this happens) and deleted it, before thinking "I probably needed that file." So then I copied across the file from my second installed copy of windows to the first and everything was fixed.

I'll let you know if the album was worth it.

What album?
Back to top Go down
http://Last.fm/Carmalain7, https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
avatar

Posts : 1632
Join date : 2008-05-13
Age : 30
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: The Wall   Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:00 am

Nahemah - A New Constellation
Back to top Go down
http://lifer.heavenforum.com
A Lawn Mower
Into the Pit
Into the Pit
avatar

Posts : 187
Join date : 2010-01-11
Age : 27
Location : Atlanta / Greensboro

PostSubject: Re: The Wall   Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:23 am

Rosalind wrote:
Nahemah - A New Constellation

I would actually really like to know if it ends up being worth it, looks like an interesting album
Back to top Go down
http://Last.fm/Carmalain7, https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
avatar

Posts : 1632
Join date : 2008-05-13
Age : 30
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: The Wall   Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:53 am

A Lawn Mower wrote:
Rosalind wrote:
Nahemah - A New Constellation

I would actually really like to know if it ends up being worth it, looks like an interesting album

One of their albums will probably get reviewed eventually. A brief listen sounded a bit like a post-rock Opeth type thing.

EDIT: Wasn't worth it.
Back to top Go down
http://lifer.heavenforum.com
AarO)))n
Hellbent for Lifer
Hellbent for Lifer
avatar

Posts : 2140
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 41
Location : Los Angeles WEST SIDE BITCHES

PostSubject: Re: The Wall   Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:40 am

Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/musickfreeck
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: The Wall   

Back to top Go down
 

The Wall

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 26 of 28 Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Lifer :: General :: General Discussion -