FAQHomeCalendarSearchMusic Review BlogMovie Review BlogRegisterLog in

Share  | 
 

 fantasy novels

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Author Message
The Gozzfather
Mantooth
Mantooth
avatar

Posts : 508
Join date : 2009-09-07
Location : ZooMass

PostSubject: fantasy novels   Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:15 am

Is anyone else a fan of fantasy novels?
Recently I've been enjoying Joe Abercrombie's work. It is really well written (very descriptive without dragging) and suspenseful. It is similar to George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and fire series; they both are dark and violent, very witty, and feature many nontraditional fantasy characters. However, Abercrombie very conscientiously works against fantasy tropes and instead of having a fetish of killing off main characters just disfigures them.
Back to top Go down
bleghman
Overlord of Pain
Overlord of Pain
avatar

Posts : 248
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 26
Location : New Joisey

PostSubject: Re: fantasy novels   Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:44 am

harrypotterlol

Dragonlance was pretty sweet if you're looking for sword-and-sorcery crap. I've read Chronicles and Legends.
Back to top Go down
Kamikaze
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
avatar

Posts : 252
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 30
Location : Fredericksburg, VA

PostSubject: Re: fantasy novels   Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:34 pm

The only stuff I can stand from this genre any more is Jacqueline Carey's work. With that said Michael Moorcock's stuff and Terry Pratchett's stuff are still essential.
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
avatar

Posts : 1632
Join date : 2008-05-13
Age : 30
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: fantasy novels   Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:36 pm

Not the biggest fan, though I'll yell out "Magician" every chance I get because its really well written with an excellent prose style and an epic-scaled plot that doesn't pretend to be LotR.
Back to top Go down
http://lifer.heavenforum.com
Ziegenbartami
Mantooth
Mantooth
avatar

Posts : 688
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 30
Location : Blashyrkh

PostSubject: Re: fantasy novels   Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:12 pm

I loved 'The Hobbit' when I was younger, but never could really get into LotR =/
Back to top Go down
The Gozzfather
Mantooth
Mantooth
avatar

Posts : 508
Join date : 2009-09-07
Location : ZooMass

PostSubject: Re: fantasy novels   Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:29 pm

Kamikaze wrote:
The only stuff I can stand from this genre any more is Jacqueline Carey's work. With that said Michael Moorcock's stuff and Terry Pratchett's stuff are still essential.

I really like Jacqueline Carey's stuff as well and I thought Michael Moorcock was pretty good as well. I haven't gotten around to reading anything by Terry Pratchett but I've only heard good things about him.
Back to top Go down
The Gozzfather
Mantooth
Mantooth
avatar

Posts : 508
Join date : 2009-09-07
Location : ZooMass

PostSubject: Re: fantasy novels   Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:32 pm

Rosalind wrote:
Not the biggest fan, though I'll yell out "Magician" every chance I get because its really well written with an excellent prose style and an epic-scaled plot that doesn't pretend to be LotR.

I loved Magician and the conclusion to that trilogy (A Darkness at Sethanon) is one of my all time favorite books.
Back to top Go down
The Entity
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
avatar

Posts : 365
Join date : 2009-09-06

PostSubject: Re: fantasy novels   Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:36 am

Two Words: Gaunt's Ghosts

Ciaphas Cain is awesome too.
Back to top Go down
The Gozzfather
Mantooth
Mantooth
avatar

Posts : 508
Join date : 2009-09-07
Location : ZooMass

PostSubject: Re: fantasy novels   Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:16 am

The Entity wrote:
Two Words: Gaunt's Ghosts

Ciaphas Cain is awesome too.

Yeah, I liked Gaunt's Ghosts as well.
Back to top Go down
Abominog
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
avatar

Posts : 468
Join date : 2009-09-07
Age : 49
Location : Labrador City

PostSubject: Re: fantasy novels   Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:07 am

More horror/fantasy, but Robert McCammon's "Swan Song" was and is one of the best novels I have ever read. I give it a go every year or two.
Back to top Go down
philsegal
Overlord of Pain
Overlord of Pain
avatar

Posts : 33
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 26
Location : Philadelphia

PostSubject: Re: fantasy novels   Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:22 pm

"The Thirteen and a Half Lives of Captain Bluebear" by Walter Moers is a good book.
Back to top Go down
The Gozzfather
Mantooth
Mantooth
avatar

Posts : 508
Join date : 2009-09-07
Location : ZooMass

PostSubject: Re: fantasy novels   Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:04 pm

I would also recommend the Tales of The Black Company series by Glen Cook. This series has been described as Vietnam War Fiction on Peyote. good stuff
Back to top Go down
The Gozzfather
Mantooth
Mantooth
avatar

Posts : 508
Join date : 2009-09-07
Location : ZooMass

PostSubject: Re: fantasy novels   Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:06 pm

Just picked up the most recent Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson Wheel of Time book and its actually pretty good. Stuff is actually happening and its much better paced. Anyone else's thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Nautilus
Mantooth
Mantooth
avatar

Posts : 526
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 28
Location : moonlight is bleeding out of your soul.

PostSubject: Re: fantasy novels   Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:18 pm

The only essential WoT book is the first one, IMO. I really want to explore further but I don't have the time/patience.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/iwokeuptoday
Bidley
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
avatar

Posts : 570
Join date : 2009-09-07
Age : 32
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: fantasy novels   Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:07 am

Seconding Terry Pratchett.

_________________
See this? This is a sensibly-sized signature.
Back to top Go down
truewalrus
Into the Pit
Into the Pit
avatar

Posts : 218
Join date : 2009-09-11
Age : 29
Location : California

PostSubject: Re: fantasy novels   Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:08 pm

The Gozzfather wrote:
Just picked up the most recent Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson Wheel of Time book and its actually pretty good. Stuff is actually happening and its much better paced. Anyone else's thoughts?

I really want to buy this, but I don't want to start while I'm in the middle of Brisingr... and since Brinsingr is generally a boredomfest and I don't really have much spare time, it might be a while.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/truewalrus
The Gozzfather
Mantooth
Mantooth
avatar

Posts : 508
Join date : 2009-09-07
Location : ZooMass

PostSubject: Re: fantasy novels   Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:31 pm

Nautilus wrote:
The only essential WoT book is the first one, IMO. I really want to explore further but I don't have the time/patience.

Yeah I completely get what you are saying. As much as I love the series it is definitely too long. Books 1-6 were pretty awesome and while books 7-10 had their moments they were all much longer than they had to be. Book 10 was the worst. It was the only one in the series that was really bad in the series in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
truewalrus
Into the Pit
Into the Pit
avatar

Posts : 218
Join date : 2009-09-11
Age : 29
Location : California

PostSubject: Re: fantasy novels   Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:11 am

The Gozzfather wrote:
Nautilus wrote:
The only essential WoT book is the first one, IMO. I really want to explore further but I don't have the time/patience.

Yeah I completely get what you are saying. As much as I love the series it is definitely too long. Books 1-6 were pretty awesome and while books 7-10 had their moments they were all much longer than they had to be. Book 10 was the worst. It was the only one in the series that was really bad in the series in my opinion.

Agree here also. I've heard the new one is on par with 2-4 though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/truewalrus
The Gozzfather
Mantooth
Mantooth
avatar

Posts : 508
Join date : 2009-09-07
Location : ZooMass

PostSubject: Re: fantasy novels   Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:43 pm

truewalrus wrote:
The Gozzfather wrote:
Nautilus wrote:
The only essential WoT book is the first one, IMO. I really want to explore further but I don't have the time/patience.

Yeah I completely get what you are saying. As much as I love the series it is definitely too long. Books 1-6 were pretty awesome and while books 7-10 had their moments they were all much longer than they had to be. Book 10 was the worst. It was the only one in the series that was really bad in the series in my opinion.

Agree here also. I've heard the new one is on par with 2-4 though.

Yeah, After reading it I'd have to say It's definitely the best WoT in a long time.

Also, I just read an awesome steampunk book called Magestrum. Its essentially Sherlock Holmes mixed with elements of sci-fi and fantasy. It's also really funny with a lot of good dry humor. I'd definitely recommend it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: fantasy novels   

Back to top Go down
 

fantasy novels

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Lifer :: General :: Entertainment -