Share  | 

The 'automatic' login?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
Neon_Knight_
Into the Pit
Into the Pit

PostSubject: Re: The 'automatic' login?   Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:33 am

I haven't had any problems recentley, and I'm using IE.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 'automatic' login?   Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:30 am

Neon_Knight_ wrote:
I haven't had any problems recentley, and I'm using IE.

Agree with this, I've never had a problem with it, don't think it's the browser.
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos

PostSubject: Re: The 'automatic' login?   Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:35 am

For when everyone feels like reading the fix I wrote a couple of days ago Razz

Rosalind wrote:
Rosalind wrote:
Right, so I've been digging around as to the cause of this automatic disappearance of unread topics, and sadly its a bug in the code that has their techies a little stumped.

The way the new post system works is that it flags all new posts since your last visit. This means if you log off with some new posts flagged up, you will have still visited the forum, even if not to that specific post. This means when you log out and back in again they will disappear; it will only show posts made between the time you log out and back in again. This is a normal for these boards.

What, however, isnt normal is the process of automatically logging you out after 15 minutes (this is also a situation observed by others). This auto-logging out issue can be simply rectified by ensuring the 'keep me logged in' box is ticked next time you log in. You might think this would disable the logout timer, but it seems whoever implemented it was a retard Mad

Instead of simply disabling it, it logs you out and then back in once more when you refresh. There appears to be no fix for it sadly, but there is a fix you can implement yourself. So long as you refresh any page within this 15 minute period, it will still register you as active (and hence all the posts will be flagged as unread).

If, however, it takes significantly less time than 15 minutes, its probably an issue with your cache; empty your cache and cookies and the problem should be solved. Well...sort of.

Copied it across for the benefit of others.
Back to top Go down
http://lifer.heavenforum.com
AarO)))n
Hellbent for Lifer
Hellbent for Lifer

PostSubject: Re: The 'automatic' login?   Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:31 pm

Rosalind wrote:

Here is a suggestion and not sure if it can be something that can be made to do. But it would nice if when a band is posted in the new link or a thread is started a genre is should be put with it. Every time one is posted with out. There are at least three wasted responses asking what it is. Just saying.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/musickfreeck
Ziegenbartami
Mantooth
Mantooth

PostSubject: Re: The 'automatic' login?   Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:41 pm

AarO)))n wrote:
Rosalind wrote:

Here is a suggestion and not sure if it can be something that can be made to do. But it would nice if when a band is posted in the new link or a thread is started a genre is should be put with it. Every time one is posted with out. There are at least three wasted responses asking what it is. Just saying.
Agreed. And perhaps give the album(s) a listen before posting so you have a good idea what it sounds like. I'm guilty of not doing this, I know, but just for future reference this is how it should be done.
Back to top Go down
AarO)))n
Hellbent for Lifer
Hellbent for Lifer

PostSubject: Re: The 'automatic' login?   Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:47 pm

Ziegenbartami wrote:
AarO)))n wrote:
Rosalind wrote:

Agreed. And perhaps give the album(s) a listen before posting so you have a good idea what it sounds like. I'm guilty of not doing this, I know, but just for future reference this is how it should be done.

I for one don't need a review, as I am able to form my own opinion (and am sure you are able to do the same not implying). The genre is all I really need. I don't want to waste time downloading something that is not in my wheel house. Or better yet. Post the link in one of the stickied genre topics.
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos

PostSubject: Re: The 'automatic' login?   Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:06 pm

AarO)))n wrote:
Rosalind wrote:

Yeah, I had hoped people would assume this as common knowledge anyway. At some point i'll probably compile a set of rules for the boards, though definitely agreed.
Back to top Go down
AarO)))n
Hellbent for Lifer
Hellbent for Lifer

PostSubject: Re: The 'automatic' login?   Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:09 pm

Rosalind wrote:
AarO)))n wrote:
Rosalind wrote:

Yeah, I had hoped people would assume this as common knowledge anyway. At some point i'll probably compile a set of rules for the boards, though definitely agreed.

Understand. I appreciate any and all links given or found by the people who posted them. But some people have cap space on what they can and cannot download. Glad to see you feel the same. Smile
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos

PostSubject: Re: The 'automatic' login?   Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:59 pm

AarO)))n wrote:
Rosalind wrote:
AarO)))n wrote:
Rosalind wrote:

Understand. I appreciate any and all links given or found by the people who posted them. But some people have cap space on what they can and cannot download. Glad to see you feel the same. Smile

Well its not like I download everything posted. In fact, unless given a genre I tend to ignore it personally. For all I know someone could up whatever the next 'Jonas Bros' or 'Miley Cyrus' bollocks is and give me a sharp surprise.
Back to top Go down
AarO)))n
Hellbent for Lifer
Hellbent for Lifer

PostSubject: Re: The 'automatic' login?   Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:06 pm

Rosalind wrote:

Well its not like I download everything posted. In fact, unless given a genre I tend to ignore it personally. For all I know someone could up whatever the next 'Jonas Bros' or 'Miley Cyrus' bollocks is and give me a sharp surprise.

I hope there is a special place in hell for those people. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Neon_Knight_
Into the Pit
Into the Pit

PostSubject: Re: The 'automatic' login?   Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:27 pm

I keep having to resign in every 2 or 3 minutes again atm, ever since I moved back to uni earlier today (tohugh I don't really see how that would cause it). The GIFs have all sped up loads too scratch Aaron's badger is now spinning his meat rather furiously lol!
Back to top Go down
Neon_Knight_
Into the Pit
Into the Pit

PostSubject: Re: The 'automatic' login?   Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:28 pm

Hmm...seems I get logged out after every post Sad
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos

PostSubject: Re: The 'automatic' login?   Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:39 am

Neon_Knight_ wrote:

When you log in, is the "Keep me signed in" button ticked? (It should be).
Otherwise, try emptying your cache and cookies.
Back to top Go down
Neon_Knight_
Into the Pit
Into the Pit

PostSubject: Re: The 'automatic' login?   Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:02 am

Rosalind wrote:
Neon_Knight_ wrote:

Yes.
Done & done.
Still keeps logging me out. It's most fun when it happens as I try to post, so I have to retype it.
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos

PostSubject: Re: The 'automatic' login?   Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:28 am

Neon_Knight_ wrote:
Rosalind wrote:
Neon_Knight_ wrote:

Yes.
Done & done.
Still keeps logging me out. It's most fun when it happens as I try to post, so I have to retype it.

If you're IE that could be the issue - check another browser. Also check that cookies are enabled as that could be the issue.
Back to top Go down
Neon_Knight_
Into the Pit
Into the Pit

PostSubject: Re: The 'automatic' login?   Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:53 am

Rosalind wrote:
Neon_Knight_ wrote:
Rosalind wrote:
Neon_Knight_ wrote:

Yes.
Done & done.

If you're IE that could be the issue - check another browser. Also check that cookies are enabled as that could be the issue.

Probably is just IE being really cool. Atm I can turn my computer off, delete all my cookie etc and it keeps me logged in, which is rather strange. Tomorrow it will probably be back to logging me out every 30 seconds. I'm not having this problem with other websites.
Does Google Chrome display websites properly? If so, I'll give that a go. (Firefox seems to lower the resolution significantly).
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos

PostSubject: Re: The 'automatic' login?   Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:04 am

I'm using Chrome now and have had few issues. They've sorted most bugs out since the beta (including an amusing one which refused to load youtube properly, which seeing as google bought youtube a couple of years back is something of an oversight).

In fact the only issue is the occasional RAM bloat (if you leave a browser on for ages it'll eventually use a buttload of RAM, meaning you need to restart the browser), an issue its initial concept was meant to prevent, though it happens less than with IE or Firefox.

Anyway, my vote would be to go for it.
Back to top Go down
Neon_Knight_
Into the Pit
Into the Pit

PostSubject: Re: The 'automatic' login?   Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:08 am

Rosalind wrote:
I'm using Chrome now and have had few issues. They've sorted most bugs out since the beta (including an amusing one which refused to load youtube properly, which seeing as google bought youtube a couple of years back is something of an oversight).

In fact the only issue is the occasional RAM bloat (if you leave a browser on for ages it'll eventually use a buttload of RAM, meaning you need to restart the browser), an issue its initial concept was meant to prevent, though it happens less than with IE or Firefox.

Ok, will give it a whirl. Doesn't it have a setting to limit it's RAM usage? My IE is limited at 252MB by default.
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos

PostSubject: Re: The 'automatic' login?   Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:15 am

Neon_Knight_ wrote:
Rosalind wrote:

Ok, will give it a whirl. Doesn't it have a setting to limit it's RAM usage? My IE is limited at 252MB by default.

o_O 252 meg? Chrome's using about 50meg atm...

Basically the idea was instead of having one browser open it would have multiple running browsers are twinned in one user interface. This means if one page bloats up then it wont affect the others, or if one window crashes the whole browser wont crash. Doesn't work as well as I'd hoped mind.
Back to top Go down
Neon_Knight_
Into the Pit
Into the Pit

PostSubject: Re: The 'automatic' login?   Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:05 pm

Rosalind wrote:
Neon_Knight_ wrote:
Rosalind wrote:

o_O 252 meg? Chrome's using about 50meg atm...

Basically the idea was instead of having one browser open it would have multiple running browsers are twinned in one user interface. This means if one page bloats up then it wont affect the others, or if one window crashes the whole browser wont crash. Doesn't work as well as I'd hoped mind.

IE 8 does this also. In the instance that the whole browser does crashe, it gives you the option to recover all the tabs when you re-open it. Big improvement on IE 7.
The only problem is that sometimes when I open a new tab it just won't load anything. Sometimes closing that tab and opening another new one works, other times I have to close and re-launch IE. Happens more frequently when I have loads of tabs open.
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos

PostSubject: Re: The 'automatic' login?   Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:09 pm

No, the intention of chrome is that only one of the tabs would crash, not the browser. Most browsers have the ability to recover tabs. Hell I used opera over half a decade ago which had that ability.
Back to top Go down
Neon_Knight_
Into the Pit
Into the Pit

PostSubject: Re: The 'automatic' login?   Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:42 pm

Rosalind wrote:
No, the intention of chrome is that only one of the tabs would crash, not the browser. Most browsers have the ability to recover tabs. Hell I used opera over half a decade ago which had that ability.

Yeh, with IE 8 only one tab crashes. But twice the whole browser has crashed on me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The 'automatic' login?   

Back to top Go down

The 'automatic' login?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2 Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Lifer :: News :: Ideas and Suggestions -