FAQHomeCalendarSearchMusic Review BlogMovie Review BlogRegisterLog in

Share  | 
 

 A decade in review

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
Author Message
LegionOvDoom
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
avatar

Posts : 575
Join date : 2009-09-07
Age : 34
Location : North East PA

PostSubject: Re: A decade in review   Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:30 am

Ziegenbartami wrote:
Rosalind wrote:
Right now, you need a couple of years experience to be able to get a job stacking shelves. Im not even joking. People can afford to demand a year or two experience in EVERY field, leaving uni graduates out the loop. I graduated last summer and I haven't been able to get a job so much as pulling a pint or cleaning a floor. It is getting better, but that doesn't help me much now.
That's what I found out this past summer. I don't have any work experience, because I never needed to work during high school, and now that I actually need a summer job, it's almost impossible to get one. Even the local grocery store didn't call after I turned in my application. Hopefully it'll be better this summer Neutral

I can't imagine never have working in high school. I've had jobs since I was 16.

Edit: Which now that I think of it, all of my jobs have been in this decade:

McDonalds
Burger King
Offset Paperback (a printing factory which prints 50% of all the U.S. paperback books)
A Community Assistant in college (Resident Assistant)
Worked for a field stone and quarry company stacking field stone and then moved to the quarry splitting and stacking stone
Worked for a contractor doing everything from building stone walls, stone patios to decks
Worked at my father's tire shop spending most of my time changing and repairing tractor trailer tires
Worked at a truck accessories shop which installed all sorts of after market parts onto trucks and cars
Worked in a KANE warehouse, packaging products from P&G (paper towels, diapers, etc)
And now working as a delivery driver for a wholesale tire company

_________________
“Bad taste creates many more millionaires than good taste.”
-Bukowski

Writing Blog:http://manic-frustration.blogspot.com/
Music Blog:http://tonsotunes.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down
http://tonsotunes.blogspot.com/
Abominog
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
avatar

Posts : 468
Join date : 2009-09-07
Age : 49
Location : Labrador City

PostSubject: Re: A decade in review   Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:13 am

Geez, just exactly how many history/ex-history students do we have in this group anyway? I have a degree as well. Very Happy

I wonder what the correlation to metal is? Razz

_________________
"I like boots. I'm honestly worse than a woman" - J. LaCrone
"Most gay guys are like that." - J. Costigan

NWOBHM > everything else.
http://www.thereviewroom.tk/
http://www.liferthemoviecorner.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=12575587266&ref=mf
Back to top Go down
ThePitGoddess
Overlord of Pain
Overlord of Pain
avatar

Posts : 240
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 29
Location : Otown, Fl

PostSubject: Re: A decade in review   Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:10 pm

Abominog wrote:
Geez, just exactly how many history/ex-history students do we have in this group anyway? I have a degree as well. Very Happy

I wonder what the correlation to metal is? Razz

You're a historian too Smile
Radddd.
Back to top Go down
Adothorr
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
avatar

Posts : 429
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 25
Location : Minocqua, WI

PostSubject: Re: A decade in review   Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:13 pm

Abominog wrote:
Geez, just exactly how many history/ex-history students do we have in this group anyway? I have a degree as well. Very Happy

I wonder what the correlation to metal is? Razz
I'm planning to major in history/archaeology too and hopefully work in Europe someday. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/adothorr
The_Accolade
Into the Pit
Into the Pit
avatar

Posts : 164
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 25
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: A decade in review   Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:25 pm

I've got a few years before college but I really want to go for a degree in Biomedical Engineering or some other type of technology engineering field, anything but civil but I'd have no problem with that either.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ftmband.com/
Ziegenbartami
Mantooth
Mantooth
avatar

Posts : 688
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 30
Location : Blashyrkh

PostSubject: Re: A decade in review   Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:59 pm

Abominog wrote:
Geez, just exactly how many history/ex-history students do we have in this group anyway?
*Raises hand* I'm a German major, too.
Back to top Go down
AarO)))n
Hellbent for Lifer
Hellbent for Lifer
avatar

Posts : 2140
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 41
Location : Los Angeles WEST SIDE BITCHES

PostSubject: Re: A decade in review   Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:58 pm

The closest I have come to a degree is the deodorant by the same name.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/musickfreeck
Sign of the Black Mark
Into the Pit
Into the Pit
avatar

Posts : 107
Join date : 2009-09-21
Age : 28
Location : Wisconsin

PostSubject: Re: A decade in review   Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:48 pm

Ziegenbartami wrote:
Abominog wrote:
Geez, just exactly how many history/ex-history students do we have in this group anyway?
*Raises hand* I'm a German major, too.

I'm probably adding history or German as a second major because when I tell people I'm a philosophy major they laugh and say I will never get a job.
Back to top Go down
son_ov_hades
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
avatar

Posts : 358
Join date : 2009-09-08
Age : 31
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: A decade in review   Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:56 pm

Another history major here as well.
Back to top Go down
Ziegenbartami
Mantooth
Mantooth
avatar

Posts : 688
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 30
Location : Blashyrkh

PostSubject: Re: A decade in review   Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:29 am

Sign of the Black Mark wrote:
Ziegenbartami wrote:
Abominog wrote:
Geez, just exactly how many history/ex-history students do we have in this group anyway?
*Raises hand* I'm a German major, too.

I'm probably adding history or German as a second major because when I tell people I'm a philosophy major they laugh and say I will never get a job.
My high school philosophy teacher told us this joke in class once: What's the first question a philosophy major asks at his job? 'Would you like fries with that?' Razz
Back to top Go down
Sign of the Black Mark
Into the Pit
Into the Pit
avatar

Posts : 107
Join date : 2009-09-21
Age : 28
Location : Wisconsin

PostSubject: Re: A decade in review   Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:04 pm

Ziegenbartami wrote:
Sign of the Black Mark wrote:
Ziegenbartami wrote:
Abominog wrote:
Geez, just exactly how many history/ex-history students do we have in this group anyway?
*Raises hand* I'm a German major, too.

I'm probably adding history or German as a second major because when I tell people I'm a philosophy major they laugh and say I will never get a job.
My high school philosophy teacher told us this joke in class once: What's the first question a philosophy major asks at his job? 'Would you like fries with that?' Razz

What's the difference between a philosophy degree and a large pizza? Someone with a large pizza can feed their family.

Pretty much the only thing you can really do as a philosophy major is become a philosophy professor. Which is what I actually want to do, so it works out.

So yeah, as far as the topic of this thread goes, I'm only 19 so obviously the past ten years has been important. I started the decade pessimistic and cynical about the world and I am ending it pessimistic and cynical about the world for completely different reasons. But I started getting into music, which is god because ten years ago I hadn't really been exposed to much music and I really didn't like anything i had heard. Hopefully the next decade will be better though.
Back to top Go down
Nautilus
Mantooth
Mantooth
avatar

Posts : 526
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 28
Location : moonlight is bleeding out of your soul.

PostSubject: Re: A decade in review   Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:39 pm

My mom wanted me to major in history. I'm doing a Mass Communications degree though, with the media.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/iwokeuptoday
LegionOvDoom
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
avatar

Posts : 575
Join date : 2009-09-07
Age : 34
Location : North East PA

PostSubject: Re: A decade in review   Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:17 pm

So...back on topic?

_________________
“Bad taste creates many more millionaires than good taste.”
-Bukowski

Writing Blog:http://manic-frustration.blogspot.com/
Music Blog:http://tonsotunes.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down
http://tonsotunes.blogspot.com/
Bidley
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
avatar

Posts : 570
Join date : 2009-09-07
Age : 32
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: A decade in review   Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:30 am

Alright, I'll have a go at this.

I began this decade at the age of 13, so obviously a lot of shit has gone down in my life. Realising my mother's alcoholism, and trying and failing to help her. Having a minor problem with substances myself, and (thank fuck) nipping that in the bud early on. Passing my driving test at the age of 20, and leaving home the same year. Gaining masses of weight, then losing it again (still not where I want to be though) Enduring 6 months of living with a guy I wanted to kill. Having left home, realising my stepmother isn't so much of a cunt after all. My confidence with the opposite sex has also been corroded away to almost nothing, due to years of let-downs and rejection. Boo fucking hoo.

But I guess the biggest thing is my outlook on life. I began this decade with the same questions of myself I'll end it with. I still have no fucking clue what my "calling" is, what I want for myself or whether selling my soul working in a job I hate (for the last 5 years, no less) really is the best I can hope for. At 23 I'm still finding myself, and finding out new things about how I think regularly. I don't know, I guess I'm hoping I'll find someone/something that'll kickstart everything and get it all to make sense. Maybe the next decade will bear fruit.

_________________
See this? This is a sensibly-sized signature.
Back to top Go down
ThePitGoddess
Overlord of Pain
Overlord of Pain
avatar

Posts : 240
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 29
Location : Otown, Fl

PostSubject: Re: A decade in review   Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:12 pm

Adothorr wrote:
Abominog wrote:
Geez, just exactly how many history/ex-history students do we have in this group anyway? I have a degree as well. Very Happy

I wonder what the correlation to metal is? Razz
I'm planning to major in history/archaeology too and hopefully work in Europe someday. Smile

I'm a History/Anthro double major Very Happy
THis board rocks <3
Back to top Go down
Ziegenbartami
Mantooth
Mantooth
avatar

Posts : 688
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 30
Location : Blashyrkh

PostSubject: Re: A decade in review   Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:56 pm

I remember being more confused by 9/11 than anything. I simply couldn't fathom why anyone would do such a thing at the time, and not until after my first year in college (i.e. last year) did I realize that the United States is responsible for most of the animosity toward it in the Third World, and that we should simply stop fucking around in other nations' affairs.

I supported the Iraq War at first, believing the reports of WMDs and that Hussein was an all-around bad guy and deserved to be removed from power. That didn't change much until 2007, when I read an essay by a German author about Germany's opposition to the war and the immorality of preemptive war in general.

Coinciding with this was my political transformation from an arch-conservative to a libertarian minarchist/borderline anarchist. This has produced problems of its own, namely that as a history major everyone expects me to become a teacher or work for the government; I've always abhorred the thought of becoming a teacher, and now I refuse to work for the government as well, leaving me with very few career options when I graduate from college in two and a half years. I know a Norwegian guy through Facebook who's a gunsmith's apprentice; I think that would be an awesome job, and now wish I had taken some shop classes in high school. Being an intellectual isn't all it's cracked up to be.

One of the best things that happened during the last ten years is going to Germany from July 2007 to July 2008 as an exchange student after graduating from high school in '07. I won a scholarship from the Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange program that paid for all expenses (except for spending money of course) to attend a German high school for a year, and it was a great experience. I met tons of cool people, both Germans and other exchange students. Being exposed to German culture also helped pull me out of my Amero-centric worldview, for which I am grateful. Though I'm not sure that I would like to move there, I'd definitely like to have a career which would allow me to visit Germany frequently.

That's about all the comes to mind at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
avatar

Posts : 1632
Join date : 2008-05-13
Age : 30
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: A decade in review   Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:30 pm

Ziegenbartami wrote:
That didn't change much until 2007, when I read an essay by a German author about Germany's opposition to the war and the immorality of preemptive war in general.

When it was considered, the US sought approval from the UN. Despite being VETO'd by a number of countries (France and Russia I think, as well as Germany), as well as getting a maximum of 4 votes for support with the majority abstaining (nine are needed before action can be continued), they continued regardless. Now if you guys had just bloody gone and invaded, there probably wouldn't be half as much animosity in the direction of the US from Europe over the situation. It was the blatant disrespectful 'lets throw our weight around' type attitude that pissed people off. Not that I'm saying the UK was much better; we weren't exactly far behind.
Back to top Go down
http://lifer.heavenforum.com
LegionOvDoom
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
avatar

Posts : 575
Join date : 2009-09-07
Age : 34
Location : North East PA

PostSubject: Re: A decade in review   Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:54 pm

Rosalind wrote:
Ziegenbartami wrote:
That didn't change much until 2007, when I read an essay by a German author about Germany's opposition to the war and the immorality of preemptive war in general.

When it was considered, the US sought approval from the UN. Despite being VETO'd by a number of countries (France and Russia I think, as well as Germany), as well as getting a maximum of 4 votes for support with the majority abstaining (nine are needed before action can be continued), they continued regardless. Now if you guys had just bloody gone and invaded, there probably wouldn't be half as much animosity in the direction of the US from Europe over the situation. It was the blatant disrespectful 'lets throw our weight around' type attitude that pissed people off. Not that I'm saying the UK was much better; we weren't exactly far behind.

We're all just a bunch of wankers.

_________________
“Bad taste creates many more millionaires than good taste.”
-Bukowski

Writing Blog:http://manic-frustration.blogspot.com/
Music Blog:http://tonsotunes.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down
http://tonsotunes.blogspot.com/
Peter
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
avatar

Posts : 377
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 25
Location : Denmark

PostSubject: Re: A decade in review   Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:37 am

LegionOvDoom wrote:
Rosalind wrote:
Ziegenbartami wrote:
That didn't change much until 2007, when I read an essay by a German author about Germany's opposition to the war and the immorality of preemptive war in general.

When it was considered, the US sought approval from the UN. Despite being VETO'd by a number of countries (France and Russia I think, as well as Germany), as well as getting a maximum of 4 votes for support with the majority abstaining (nine are needed before action can be continued), they continued regardless. Now if you guys had just bloody gone and invaded, there probably wouldn't be half as much animosity in the direction of the US from Europe over the situation. It was the blatant disrespectful 'lets throw our weight around' type attitude that pissed people off. Not that I'm saying the UK was much better; we weren't exactly far behind.

We're all just a bunch of wankers.


We were wankers too at the time, but our prime minister at the time really really loved Bush.
Back to top Go down
LegionOvDoom
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
avatar

Posts : 575
Join date : 2009-09-07
Age : 34
Location : North East PA

PostSubject: Re: A decade in review   Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:53 pm

Peter wrote:
LegionOvDoom wrote:
Rosalind wrote:
Ziegenbartami wrote:
That didn't change much until 2007, when I read an essay by a German author about Germany's opposition to the war and the immorality of preemptive war in general.

When it was considered, the US sought approval from the UN. Despite being VETO'd by a number of countries (France and Russia I think, as well as Germany), as well as getting a maximum of 4 votes for support with the majority abstaining (nine are needed before action can be continued), they continued regardless. Now if you guys had just bloody gone and invaded, there probably wouldn't be half as much animosity in the direction of the US from Europe over the situation. It was the blatant disrespectful 'lets throw our weight around' type attitude that pissed people off. Not that I'm saying the UK was much better; we weren't exactly far behind.

We're all just a bunch of wankers.


We were wankers too at the time, but our prime minister at the time really really loved Bush.

Yeah. Lot's of people loved Bush for some awful reason.

_________________
“Bad taste creates many more millionaires than good taste.”
-Bukowski

Writing Blog:http://manic-frustration.blogspot.com/
Music Blog:http://tonsotunes.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down
http://tonsotunes.blogspot.com/
Mostafa
Into the Pit
Into the Pit


Posts : 213
Join date : 2009-09-07
Location : Egypt

PostSubject: Re: A decade in review   Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:21 pm

About Time I participated in this. Hmm, the last decade is nearly as far as my memory can reach; I mean I'am almost 18 so the last 10 years were pretty much everything. The most important things that come to mind are, I was in a relation with this girl I loved that lasted for about 4 years, the girl was as good as it gets, she was so decent that throughout our long relationship, we never went out on a date, not even once, we only met at school, never outside. Sadly, things ended earlier this year, by me actually, for the life of me I cant figure what went wrong. I still think of her till this day...I also joined the faculty of engineering this year, my first year at college, and I fucking hate my college, it's do damn hard, they weight us with subjects, exams and all are difficult, engineering is shit. Last but not least, I joined Lifer at the begining of this year, glad to say it's doubled my collection over 10 times as big as it were, broadened my horizons to new and great music, and I've made many friends doing so. Smile
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
avatar

Posts : 1632
Join date : 2008-05-13
Age : 30
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: A decade in review   Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:55 pm

You were in a relationship but never met outside of school? That sounds both weird and pretty sucky tbh.

Oh, and you cant double something to ten times your collection. 2x =/= 10x Razz
Back to top Go down
http://lifer.heavenforum.com
Mostafa
Into the Pit
Into the Pit


Posts : 213
Join date : 2009-09-07
Location : Egypt

PostSubject: Re: A decade in review   Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:32 pm

Rosalind wrote:
You were in a relationship but never met outside of school? That sounds both weird and pretty sucky tbh.

Oh, and you cant double something to ten times your collection. 2x =/= 10x Razz

Agreed, but as I've said, she was too decent..That was one of the reasons I got fed up in the end though, I missed her so badly, we spent months not seeing each other.

Oh, fuck you Thomas, I forgot know the English to that one tongue, i think it's something like "ten times as bigger" ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: A decade in review   

Back to top Go down
 

A decade in review

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2 Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Lifer :: General :: General Discussion -