Lifer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesMusic Review BlogMovie Review BlogRegisterLog in

Share  | 

The "FML" thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
Rosalind

The "FML" thread Vide
PostSubject: The "FML" thread   The "FML" thread EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 4:38 pm

Ok, firstly "FML" is an old meme for "Fuck My Life," usually said by kids who think they have it rough because they got set an essay earlier. Really, I'm just using it an as an excuse to bitch and rant. Ok, to setting the bar.

A few may have heard from me in my - fairly rare snippets of - spare time that I finally found work about a week ago. And its shit. I'm not even talking boring and monotonous shelf stacking kind of shit. This is possibly the only profession where kids flipping burgers have a right to laugh at me. Officially, my title is "Direct Line Sales Marketing Representative." I wear a flash suit to work as the norm and there is the potential to eventually be earning close to a 6-figure salary, assuming your good at it. Which I'm not.

I don't have any boss breathing down my neck as I'm out of the office for most of the day, which given British weather is more of a curse than anything else (it was cold enough today that my hands went completely numb and stiff with the occasional dark red patch, re-teaching me not to lose my gloves), but even this wouldn't be too bad if the hours weren't so bad; it takes me 90 minutes to get to work for 11am, but to offset that late start I work later, usually to about 9.30, though I didn't get home until after midnight last night. This holds true for all days except Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday; Wed: 9am-9.30pm, Saturday: 10am-7pm and Sunday I get off to wash my shirts for Monday. Oh, and I haven't even gotten around to the best bit; my pay is 100% commission based, so last week for all my 80 hours work, I made...£80. Less than a fifth minimum wage. (A lot less if you then count the fact only 70% of that goes to me immediately, 30% is a security bond in case a client backs out at the last minute which I get after 3 months).

If you haven't figured it out yet, this is the only profession where people will regularly call you a plague upon humanity, scum of the earth and a waste of a human life (and no, i'm not embellishing, I have had all of these in the past week). Yes, I'm now the bastard who rings on your doorbell at some inevitably inconvenient hour to tell you about how I can save on your gas and electric. Without using those words because its illegal. Or "less" "cheaper" "change" and a few others that i've forgotten. And to add insult to injury, this is the only job I've found in 6 months of searching (presumably because people would rather go on the dole, earn more money and keep the feeling in their appendages) so I'm stuck here until someone else hires me. Except I can't look for any more jobs because of my hours. FML.

EDIT: Im still writing for the blogs, but my writing is now being done in the back of a bus Razz
Back to top Go down
http://lifer.heavenforum.com
Bidley
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
Bidley

The "FML" thread Vide
PostSubject: Re: The "FML" thread   The "FML" thread EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 4:07 am

Fuck your life indeed, my friend. And I thought my job sucked.
Back to top Go down
son_ov_hades
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
son_ov_hades

The "FML" thread Vide
PostSubject: Re: The "FML" thread   The "FML" thread EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 10:09 am

Wow I sympathize with you, that's terrible. I had a job going door to door canvassing for a political campaign, but as we weren't selling anything I didn't paid on commission. However I did get lots of insults hurled my way.
Back to top Go down
Peter
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
Peter

The "FML" thread Vide
PostSubject: Re: The "FML" thread   The "FML" thread EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 12:11 pm

I have a headache....You have it worse but still, I don't like having headaches...
Back to top Go down
Ziegenbartami
Mantooth
Mantooth
Ziegenbartami

The "FML" thread Vide
PostSubject: Re: The "FML" thread   The "FML" thread EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 12:35 pm

Peter wrote:
I have a headache....You have it worse but still, I don't like having headaches...
Couple of OTC pills should take care of that.
Back to top Go down
Mostafa
Into the Pit
Into the Pit

The "FML" thread Vide
PostSubject: Re: The "FML" thread   The "FML" thread EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 2:40 pm

Thomas, that's sucks man, 80 hours of work for 80 pounds ? hope you have a break of fortune, man.

As for my life; well, this is my first year at college, and it sucks balls, for some unknown reason I decided to enlist in what would probably be labeled the hardest and most fucking annoying university in Egypt, and I'am pretty much regretting it. There are way to many subjects to handle, most professors are pseudointellectual retards, my grades suck and I'am currently having my exams, so far there's a big possiblity I may have flunked both two subjects -if I failed in 3 subjects I'll have to restart the year all over ! also, it's the only University in Egypt that actually make us come on Fridays (the official holiday here) and I have to go there 6 or 7 days a week, two of those I spend over 10 hours in the university, + 2 hours going there and back. All of this has led to me becoming consumed by college as in I wake up go to there, finish my long annoying day, get home sleep, then wake up the following day ! and many of my friends who are in different ones I barely see every now and then.
Back to top Go down
son_ov_hades
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
son_ov_hades

The "FML" thread Vide
PostSubject: Re: The "FML" thread   The "FML" thread EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 7:49 pm

Mostafa I feel your pain, I'm consumed with school as well. The difference is I live on campus though, so I don't have to commute. Sometimes I wish I had gone to an easy, shitty college.
Back to top Go down
Abominog
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
Abominog

The "FML" thread Vide
PostSubject: Re: The "FML" thread   The "FML" thread EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 10:59 pm

Does anyone really want me to do this?!?!?

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
Silchias Ruin
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
Silchias Ruin

The "FML" thread Vide
PostSubject: Re: The "FML" thread   The "FML" thread EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 11:19 pm

Abominog wrote:

If you really feel like venting, go ahead, otherwise probably best to talk to someone you trust IRL.
Back to top Go down
Mostafa
Into the Pit
Into the Pit

The "FML" thread Vide
PostSubject: Re: The "FML" thread   The "FML" thread EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 5:59 am

Abominog wrote:

Go for it; we're all the Lifer family. tongue
Back to top Go down
Mostafa
Into the Pit
Into the Pit

The "FML" thread Vide
PostSubject: Re: The "FML" thread   The "FML" thread EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 6:00 am

son_ov_hades wrote:
Mostafa I feel your pain, I'm consumed with school as well. The difference is I live on campus though, so I don't have to commute. Sometimes I wish I had gone to an easy, shitty college.

I wish that on a regular basis, what's most depressing is, I dont want to be an engineer, but I dont yet know what I want to be, you know, still havent decided what I'am meant to do , yet.
Back to top Go down
son_ov_hades
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
son_ov_hades

The "FML" thread Vide
PostSubject: Re: The "FML" thread   The "FML" thread EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 8:02 am

Mostafa wrote:
son_ov_hades wrote:

I wish that on a regular basis, what's most depressing is, I dont want to be an engineer, but I dont yet know what I want to be, you know, still havent decided what I'am meant to do , yet.

Don't worry about that, you'll figure it out. I know people in their 40s that still don't know what to do with their lives haha.
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
Rosalind

The "FML" thread Vide
PostSubject: Re: The "FML" thread   The "FML" thread EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 8:21 am

Mostafa wrote:
Thomas, that's sucks man, 80 hours of work for 80 pounds ? hope you have a break of fortune, man.

As for my life; well, this is my first year at college, and it sucks balls, for some unknown reason I decided to enlist in what would probably be labeled the hardest and most fucking annoying university in Egypt, and I'am pretty much regretting it. There are way to many subjects to handle, most professors are pseudointellectual retards, my grades suck and I'am currently having my exams, so far there's a big possiblity I may have flunked both two subjects -if I failed in 3 subjects I'll have to restart the year all over ! also, it's the only University in Egypt that actually make us come on Fridays (the official holiday here) and I have to go there 6 or 7 days a week, two of those I spend over 10 hours in the university, + 2 hours going there and back. All of this has led to me becoming consumed by college as in I wake up go to there, finish my long annoying day, get home sleep, then wake up the following day ! and many of my friends who are in different ones I barely see every now and then.

Luckily, because im classed as self-employed I dont need to worry about taking days off. Im gonna talk to my boss about not working saturdays so I'll at least have some form of break. On the way back I did some mental calculations, that £80 wont have covered my costs to get in and back from work. Im currently paying to work an 80 hour week. :/

As for your situation, it sounds a bit like my final year. 9am-9pm (sometimes earlier, sometimes later but there abouts) and then the weekend was spent doing all my coursework and essays and such. Particularly in the last 6 months it was only the fact I was nearing the end that kept me going, but it did pay off. I can only say from the job market here, but degrees aren't worth nearly as much as they were. Id have better luck finding work now if Id have worked in a pub for three years than got a degree, even if my future prospects wouldn't look to improve much as a result. I dont know how long uni started for you, but sometimes its possible to change course even two or three months in, but im not sure if that would help much. What Id suggest is sticking it out as long as possible, and if it really becomes too much, say fuck it, leave, get a job, save some money and re-apply to a different uni next year. On reflection for me, uni was at least as much about having fun and getting used to not being around parents and out on your own as it was about the piece of paper at the end. If you're only fulfilling one criteria, ask if thats really what you want to be doing? I can tell you now, you may get more accustomed to the lifestyle but the workload most certainly will get a lot fucking worse.

Mostafa wrote:
I wish that on a regular basis, what's most depressing is, I dont want to be an engineer, but I dont yet know what I want to be

90%+ of people have no clue what they want to be career wise, even through uni. Fuck I've finished now and I don't know - I've moved from a degree in engineering to a job in marketing. All most people do is what interests them. If you're naturally interested in the subject then the work wont seem anywhere near as laborious.

As for myself, the reason I'm on now is because I was sent home. Perhaps it was because I overslept and missed my train making me nearly an hour late, perhaps it was because my snoring was disrupting the conference call today (I didn't even know I could sleep standing up), or perhaps it was because my company made a cock-up, temporarily revoking my license to practice making it illegal for me to actually work on my own today. Whatever the reason, im glad to be in my warm home before 11pm tonight.
Back to top Go down
Mostafa
Into the Pit
Into the Pit

The "FML" thread Vide
PostSubject: Re: The "FML" thread   The "FML" thread EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 4:04 pm

Quote :
Luckily, because im classed as self-employed I dont need to worry about taking days off. Im gonna talk to my boss about not working saturdays so I'll at least have some form of break. On the way back I did some mental calculations, that £80 wont have covered my costs to get in and back from work. Im currently paying to work an 80 hour week. :/
Wow, they dont even cost your transportation ! that sucks balls man, aint worth it IMO, unless you're gaining experience of it.

Quote :
As for your situation, it sounds a bit like my final year. 9am-9pm (sometimes earlier, sometimes later but there abouts) and then the weekend was spent doing all my coursework and essays and such. Particularly in the last 6 months it was only the fact I was nearing the end that kept me going, but it did pay off. I can only say from the job market here, but degrees aren't worth nearly as much as they were. Id have better luck finding work now if Id have worked in a pub for three years than got a degree, even if my future prospects wouldn't look to improve much as a result. I dont know how long uni started for you, but sometimes its possible to change course even two or three months in, but im not sure if that would help much. What Id suggest is sticking it out as long as possible, and if it really becomes too much, say fuck it, leave, get a job, save some money and re-apply to a different uni next year. On reflection for me, uni was at least as much about having fun and getting used to not being around parents and out on your own as it was about the piece of paper at the end. If you're only fulfilling one criteria, ask if thats really what you want to be doing? I can tell you now, you may get more accustomed to the lifestyle but the workload most certainly will get a lot fucking worse.
Yeah, sadly things are way too different here; the job market around here requires highest degrees -like the college am In, though I dont benefit fuck with that sort of education where they give you the creme of the subject and you're supposed to extract the interiors ! that and they overwhelm us with subjects and shit to do. But stuff like exprience, charisma, other language, good communication skills, stuff like that helps alot here too. The thing is, if I change my uni, I either have to go something medicine related which I hate, or law related which I also hate, or commerce related and such which I also hate. And I agree that shit will get alot worse when -and If- I start working.

Quote :
90%+ of people have no clue what they want to be career wise, even through uni. Fuck I've finished now and I don't know - I've moved from a degree in engineering to a job in marketing. All most people do is what interests them. If you're naturally interested in the subject then the work wont seem anywhere near as laborious.

As for myself, the reason I'm on now is because I was sent home. Perhaps it was because I overslept and missed my train making me nearly an hour late, perhaps it was because my snoring was disrupting the conference call today (I didn't even know I could sleep standing up), or perhaps it was because my company made a cock-up, temporarily revoking my license to practice making it illegal for me to actually work on my own today. Whatever the reason, im glad to be in my warm home before 11pm tonight.

Agreed. And, ROFL
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
Rosalind

The "FML" thread Vide
PostSubject: Re: The "FML" thread   The "FML" thread EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 5:33 pm

Abominog wrote:
OK Thomas. Seeing as you seem to find me funny.

I have no idea where you got this. This was a thread for venting, not for competing.
Back to top Go down
Abominog
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
Abominog

The "FML" thread Vide
PostSubject: Re: The "FML" thread   The "FML" thread EmptySat Jan 30, 2010 12:55 am

That was supposed to be funny and sarcastic. It seemed like it when I wrote it. Now, I have no idea what I was thinking. Sorry about that mate.
Back to top Go down
Neon_Knight_
Into the Pit
Into the Pit
Neon_Knight_

The "FML" thread Vide
PostSubject: Re: The "FML" thread   The "FML" thread EmptySat Jan 30, 2010 7:53 am

Thomas, that sucks!
I wouldn't normally recommend this, but quit and go on the doll until you can find something better. When you consider transport cost, you'll have nearly as much money and possibly more self-respect. Maybe in the mean time, try to find a voluntary job that would add more to your CV than using a phone, but allows you plenty of time for job hunting.
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
Rosalind

The "FML" thread Vide
PostSubject: Re: The "FML" thread   The "FML" thread EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 10:20 am

Neon_Knight_ wrote:
Thomas, that sucks!
I wouldn't normally recommend this, but quit and go on the doll until you can find something better. When you consider transport cost, you'll have nearly as much money and possibly more self-respect. Maybe in the mean time, try to find a voluntary job that would add more to your CV than using a phone, but allows you plenty of time for job hunting.

I cant really quit; I spent 6 months looking for work, and having a job that lasted 3 weeks on my CV wont look good. I pretty much have to keep it until I find something else, but I'm gonna see if I can't cut it to 5 days a week. I'm still shattered and I have work tomorrow. If I'm not enthusiastic and energetic, I'm not gonna make any money (simply). Oh, and I think I've broken even now, my earnings have covered my transportation costs.
Back to top Go down
Yasmin
On Parole
On Parole

The "FML" thread Vide
PostSubject: Re: The "FML" thread   The "FML" thread EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 3:18 pm

What does CV mean?
Back to top Go down
Peter
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
Peter

The "FML" thread Vide
PostSubject: Re: The "FML" thread   The "FML" thread EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 3:23 pm

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/curriculum_vitae
Back to top Go down
Neon_Knight_
Into the Pit
Into the Pit
Neon_Knight_

The "FML" thread Vide
PostSubject: Re: The "FML" thread   The "FML" thread EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 6:23 pm

Yasmin wrote:
What does CV mean?

lol!
I'm guessing you haven't entered the world of full-time work then? (Not that I have either).
Back to top Go down
AarO)))n
Hellbent for Lifer
Hellbent for Lifer
AarO)))n

The "FML" thread Vide
PostSubject: Re: The "FML" thread   The "FML" thread EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 7:13 pm

Neon_Knight_ wrote:
Yasmin wrote:
What does CV mean?

lol!
I'm guessing you haven't entered the world of full-time work then? (Not that I have either).

American's call it a resume. I think that may be where the confusion comes from.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/musickfreeck
Mostafa
Into the Pit
Into the Pit

The "FML" thread Vide
PostSubject: Re: The "FML" thread   The "FML" thread EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 12:10 pm

AarO)))n wrote:
Neon_Knight_ wrote:
Yasmin wrote:
What does CV mean?

lol!

American's call it a resume. I think that may be where the confusion comes from.

Yanks. tongue

I was wondering really what that spelled like -resume- but isnt it pronounced different from resume as in resume something after stopping, know what I mean?
Back to top Go down
AarO)))n
Hellbent for Lifer
Hellbent for Lifer
AarO)))n

The "FML" thread Vide
PostSubject: Re: The "FML" thread   The "FML" thread EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 12:34 pm

Mostafa wrote:
AarO)))n wrote:
Neon_Knight_ wrote:
Yasmin wrote:
What does CV mean?

lol!

Yanks. tongue

I was wondering really what that spelled like -resume- but isnt it pronounced different from resume as in resume something after stopping, know what I mean?

I guess the correct spelling would be resumé. That is if you want to spell it like some faggoty French guy. tongue
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/musickfreeck
Mostafa
Into the Pit
Into the Pit

The "FML" thread Vide
PostSubject: Re: The "FML" thread   The "FML" thread EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 4:54 pm

AarO)))n wrote:
Mostafa wrote:
AarO)))n wrote:
Neon_Knight_ wrote:
Yasmin wrote:
What does CV mean?

lol!

Yanks. tongue

I guess the correct spelling would be resumé. That is if you want to spell it like some faggoty French guy. tongue

Nah, English's fine, I hate french, too soft. tongue
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The "FML" thread Vide
PostSubject: Re: The "FML" thread   The "FML" thread Empty

Back to top Go down

The "FML" thread

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2 Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Lifer :: General :: General Discussion -