Lifer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesMusic Review BlogMovie Review BlogRegisterLog in

Share  | 

Guitar Tuning Help (Please)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Ahmedeus
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
Ahmedeus

Guitar Tuning Help (Please) Vide
PostSubject: Guitar Tuning Help (Please)   Guitar Tuning Help (Please) EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 12:00 am

My band can't decide which tuning we should play in. Thing is, not at our songs are in the same tuning. Some are in standard, others are dropped. Right now we're playing in Dropped C, which works well because we play Death Metal and it's heavy. And when we have to play our other songs, we simply tune the last string up to D.

Our bassist has a 5 string, so that complicates things. His guitar doesn't go EADGBE, it goes BEADG or something. That's his standard E tuning. When we're playing Dropped C and want to make it D, he has to tune his whole guitar while we only tune 1 string. How can we make this simple?
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
Rosalind

PostSubject: Re: Guitar Tuning Help (Please)   Guitar Tuning Help (Please) EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 1:11 am

Obvious answer: Tune EADGC? (Then drop like the guitars). A guitar will tune to whatever you want it to, provided you haven't been retarded and get thick strings to play high notes. Get a lower gauge if its really an issue and then presto, insta-tuning.

Obvious answer #2: Can't he just play everything with the low-B but just play it up a bit? (First fret should be D, third fret C, though I'd double check this with Ricard as he's the theory master).
Back to top Go down
http://lifer.heavenforum.com
Ahmedeus
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
Ahmedeus

PostSubject: Re: Guitar Tuning Help (Please)   Guitar Tuning Help (Please) EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 5:28 pm

I'm not sure I understand. The standard 5 string bass tuning is BEADG. If the guitars tune to that, we'll be at B standard, which is pretty low but doesn't sound very evil for some reason. If we have to drop that, it'll be even lower. I tried it and it's not very practical even though I have high gauge.

A site tells me this:

Drop B/C: GDADC#

This is very confusing to me.

Obvious answer #2 is very obvious. I hadn't really thought about it, I'll ask the bassist if he can do that.
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
Rosalind

PostSubject: Re: Guitar Tuning Help (Please)   Guitar Tuning Help (Please) EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 9:59 pm

The first one: DONT tune the standard. Standard tuning is just what others are using, theres no reason he can't tune the string to E instead of a B, and EADGC is pretty common with those who'd rather be able to hit higher notes than lower ones. Then his first four are identical to your guitars standard tuning and he can drop it down.
Back to top Go down
http://lifer.heavenforum.com
Ziegenbartami
Mantooth
Mantooth
Ziegenbartami

PostSubject: Re: Guitar Tuning Help (Please)   Guitar Tuning Help (Please) EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 8:15 am

Rosalind wrote:
Obvious answer #2: Can't he just play everything with the low-B but just play it up a bit? (First fret should be D, third fret C, though I'd double check this with Ricard as he's the theory master).
As the owner of a 5-string bass, I second this.
Back to top Go down
Ahmedeus
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
Ahmedeus

PostSubject: Re: Guitar Tuning Help (Please)   Guitar Tuning Help (Please) EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 8:08 pm

The issue's been resolved, we've settled for playing everything on standard bass tuning. It's a bit more difficult though. Thanks for the help.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guitar Tuning Help (Please)   Guitar Tuning Help (Please) Empty

Back to top Go down

Guitar Tuning Help (Please)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Lifer :: Music :: The Musician's Corner -