Lifer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesMusic Review BlogMovie Review BlogRegisterLog in

Share  | 

Gear Questions/Discussions Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
Pastor of Muppets
On Parole
On Parole
Pastor of Muppets

Gear Questions/Discussions Thread Vide
PostSubject: Gear Questions/Discussions Thread   Gear Questions/Discussions Thread EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 7:42 pm

Debating about what new guitar or amp to get? Tube, or solid state? Wondering what kind of pickups to put in your shitty $100 no-name guitar?

This is the thread you're looking for. If you've got questions, I've probably got the answers (if I don't, I'll do my best to get the answer you're looking for)

Peace
Back to top Go down
Ahmedeus
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
Ahmedeus

PostSubject: Re: Gear Questions/Discussions Thread   Gear Questions/Discussions Thread EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 8:10 pm

Pastor of Muppets wrote:
Debating about what new guitar or amp to get?

Yes! I'm not going to buy the guitar immediately, but it's good to have my mind made up. I started a thread in fb Lifer, and got lots of suggestions for Ibanez.
My preferences: 6 string, anything not humbucker, 24 frets, and floating bridge.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
bleghman
Overlord of Pain
Overlord of Pain
bleghman

PostSubject: Re: Gear Questions/Discussions Thread   Gear Questions/Discussions Thread EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 8:14 pm

when I put those 11 gauge strings in my guitar and tuned it to E, the bridge got fucked up
now the screws holding the bridgeplate to the body don't go in straight
Back to top Go down
Nautilus
Mantooth
Mantooth
Nautilus

PostSubject: Re: Gear Questions/Discussions Thread   Gear Questions/Discussions Thread EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 8:25 pm

Should've used 10s, or D tuning.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/iwokeuptoday
bleghman
Overlord of Pain
Overlord of Pain
bleghman

PostSubject: Re: Gear Questions/Discussions Thread   Gear Questions/Discussions Thread EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 8:35 pm

yea, I figured that out
switched to 9's
remind me to try 10's next time
Back to top Go down
Pastor of Muppets
On Parole
On Parole
Pastor of Muppets

PostSubject: Re: Gear Questions/Discussions Thread   Gear Questions/Discussions Thread EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 10:08 pm

Yeah, don't use anything 11 or higher in standard tuning...unless you're trying to be SRV. Then get it set up @ your local music place. If your guitar is set up for regular/light strings, and you put those on there, it messes up the bridge, and can cause wayyy to much tension, which can bust your nut (hahahaha, pun not intended).
Back to top Go down
Ziegenbartami
Mantooth
Mantooth
Ziegenbartami

PostSubject: Re: Gear Questions/Discussions Thread   Gear Questions/Discussions Thread EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 10:12 pm

What gauge would you recommend for tuning a Les Paul to B?

Last edited by Ziegenbartami on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nautilus
Mantooth
Mantooth
Nautilus

PostSubject: Re: Gear Questions/Discussions Thread   Gear Questions/Discussions Thread EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 10:21 pm

Like, drop B?

.-.
Back to top Go down
Ziegenbartami
Mantooth
Mantooth
Ziegenbartami

PostSubject: Re: Gear Questions/Discussions Thread   Gear Questions/Discussions Thread EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 10:28 pm

Nautilus wrote:
Like, drop B?

.-.
Yeah...essentially tuning it like a baritione guitar.
Back to top Go down
Pastor of Muppets
On Parole
On Parole
Pastor of Muppets

PostSubject: Re: Gear Questions/Discussions Thread   Gear Questions/Discussions Thread EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 10:35 pm

Ziegenbartami wrote:
What gauge would you recommend for playing a Les Paul in B?

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Zakk-Wylde-Icon-Series-Custom-Electirc-Guitar-Strings?sku=101623

I've heard good things about these
Back to top Go down
Pastor of Muppets
On Parole
On Parole
Pastor of Muppets

PostSubject: Re: Gear Questions/Discussions Thread   Gear Questions/Discussions Thread EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 10:40 pm

Ahmedeus wrote:
My preferences: 6 string, anything not humbucker, 24 frets, and floating bridge.

Thanks.

ooooh, no humbuckers? why?

thats gonna be tough
Back to top Go down
Ahmedeus
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
Ahmedeus

PostSubject: Re: Gear Questions/Discussions Thread   Gear Questions/Discussions Thread EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 3:41 am

Pastor of Muppets wrote:
Ahmedeus wrote:

Thanks.

ooooh, no humbuckers? why?

thats gonna be tough

Well, I won't mind them at all. It's just that I have humbuckers in one of my guitars. My other guitar is 2 single coil + 1 double coil, and I prefer that sound more. Any suggestions for moi?
Back to top Go down
Nautilus
Mantooth
Mantooth
Nautilus

PostSubject: Re: Gear Questions/Discussions Thread   Gear Questions/Discussions Thread EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 10:07 am

Ibanez SAS36FM-DRS. My guitar. Only 22 frets, but highly recommended.

Gear Questions/Discussions Thread Ibanez-SAS36FM_DRS
Back to top Go down
Pastor of Muppets
On Parole
On Parole
Pastor of Muppets

PostSubject: Re: Gear Questions/Discussions Thread   Gear Questions/Discussions Thread EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 11:40 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Made-In-Japan-Stratocaster-with-Kahler-1988_W0QQitemZ290347961135QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item439a164b2f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-M103-Flame-Maple-Electric-Guitar?sku=514871

Those and the Ibanez mentioned above look pretty decent for the money.

My other suggestion (which has the potential to be expensive) is a souped up Fender Strat with stock floyd rose. I'm pretty sure they still make them, but I'd replace the pickups with either EMGs or something else thats high output (seymour duncans are pretty good IMO, especially the Hot Rails)
Back to top Go down
Ahmedeus
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
Ahmedeus

PostSubject: Re: Gear Questions/Discussions Thread   Gear Questions/Discussions Thread EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 1:40 pm

Thanks, I like the EMG one best. Let's see if I can find it around here.
Back to top Go down
Pastor of Muppets
On Parole
On Parole
Pastor of Muppets

PostSubject: Re: Gear Questions/Discussions Thread   Gear Questions/Discussions Thread EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 12:49 pm

BTW: I picked up a Traynor all-tube bass head (YBA 200) for $600 for my birthday

best bass head for the money, not gonna lie

Gear Questions/Discussions Thread 568384 Gear Questions/Discussions Thread 568384 Gear Questions/Discussions Thread 568384 Gear Questions/Discussions Thread 568384 Gear Questions/Discussions Thread 568384
Back to top Go down
Bidley
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
Bidley

PostSubject: Re: Gear Questions/Discussions Thread   Gear Questions/Discussions Thread EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 3:02 pm

Pastor of Muppets wrote:
BTW: I picked up a Traynor all-tube bass head (YBA 200) for $600 for my birthday

best bass head for the money, not gonna lie

Gear Questions/Discussions Thread 568384 Gear Questions/Discussions Thread 568384 Gear Questions/Discussions Thread 568384 Gear Questions/Discussions Thread 568384 Gear Questions/Discussions Thread 568384

You lucky fuck. I got a Peavy TNT 115 combo a while back. Sounds great, just about loud enough, but FUCK is it heavy! I've had to put casters and two extra handles on it!
Back to top Go down
Pastor of Muppets
On Parole
On Parole
Pastor of Muppets

PostSubject: Re: Gear Questions/Discussions Thread   Gear Questions/Discussions Thread EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 11:05 pm

Bidley wrote:
You lucky fuck. I got a Peavy TNT 115 combo a while back. Sounds great, just about loud enough, but FUCK is it heavy! I've had to put casters and two extra handles on it!

Peavey's are very good bass amps, esp. the TNT (for the money, at least). What is that, 300 watts? You should get a 2x10 extension cab, and you'll be in business.
Back to top Go down
Bidley
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
Bidley

PostSubject: Re: Gear Questions/Discussions Thread   Gear Questions/Discussions Thread EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 4:15 am

Pastor of Muppets wrote:
Peavey's are very good bass amps, esp. the TNT (for the money, at least). What is that, 300 watts? You should get a 2x10 extension cab, and you'll be in business.

No, it's only a 150watt. I don't think you can get an extension cab for it?
Back to top Go down
Pastor of Muppets
On Parole
On Parole
Pastor of Muppets

PostSubject: Re: Gear Questions/Discussions Thread   Gear Questions/Discussions Thread EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 10:05 am

Bidley wrote:
I don't think you can get an extension cab for it?

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-TNT-115-1x15-200W-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=481381

If that's your amp, then yes, you can get an extension. I'd recommend a 2x10 since you'd already have a 15" going, that'd have all your frequencies covered.

Then again, you may not even need an extension. 150 @ 4 ohms (or 200 @ 2 ohms) is pretty loud as it is.
Back to top Go down
Bidley
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
Bidley

PostSubject: Re: Gear Questions/Discussions Thread   Gear Questions/Discussions Thread EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 2:19 pm

Pastor of Muppets wrote:
Bidley wrote:
I don't think you can get an extension cab for it?

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-TNT-115-1x15-200W-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=481381

If that's your amp, then yes, you can get an extension. I'd recommend a 2x10 since you'd already have a 15" going, that'd have all your frequencies covered.

Then again, you may not even need an extension. 150 @ 4 ohms (or 200 @ 2 ohms) is pretty loud as it is.

Yep, that's the one. I'm new to the whole bass ampage thing, I take it there should be a connection on the amp especially for an extension? I can't be arsed to lug it out to have a look Razz

Would be a jack connection? XLR?
Back to top Go down
Pastor of Muppets
On Parole
On Parole
Pastor of Muppets

PostSubject: Re: Gear Questions/Discussions Thread   Gear Questions/Discussions Thread EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 8:22 pm

Bidley wrote:
Yep, that's the one. I'm new to the whole bass ampage thing, I take it there should be a connection on the amp especially for an extension? I can't be arsed to lug it out to have a look Razz

Would be a jack connection? XLR?

I'm assuming that it's gonna be 1/4" extension speaker jack, but it could be an XLR. I see there's an XLR out on the front, but thats if you wanna go to the PA.

EDIT: just confirmed its a 1/4" external speaker jack
Back to top Go down
Bidley
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
Bidley

PostSubject: Re: Gear Questions/Discussions Thread   Gear Questions/Discussions Thread EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 4:15 am

Pastor of Muppets wrote:
I'm assuming that it's gonna be 1/4" extension speaker jack, but it could be an XLR. I see there's an XLR out on the front, but thats if you wanna go to the PA.

EDIT: just confirmed its a 1/4" external speaker jack

Yeah, I looked on the back today. Something to look into..... Thanks for the heads up dude!
Back to top Go down
Bidley
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
Bidley

PostSubject: Re: Gear Questions/Discussions Thread   Gear Questions/Discussions Thread EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 7:57 am

So John, I take it you can't just whack any extension cab onto any combo - what do I need to look out for? What needs to match up? Also, what bass strings do you recommend? Why do my fingertips wrinkle when I sit in the bath for too long?
Back to top Go down
Pastor of Muppets
On Parole
On Parole
Pastor of Muppets

PostSubject: Re: Gear Questions/Discussions Thread   Gear Questions/Discussions Thread EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 9:53 am

Bidley wrote:
So John, I take it you can't just whack any extension cab onto any combo - what do I need to look out for? What needs to match up? Also, what bass strings do you recommend? Why do my fingertips wrinkle when I sit in the bath for too long?

As far as an extension goes, you want something runs at least 2 ohms (I don't think they even make bass cabs that run under that), but I'd recommend something that runs @ 4 ohms for maximum efficiency. If you find a cab that runs @ 8ohms and you really like it, use it. But you end up getting more out of a 4 ohm cab. Also, you need to make sure that the cab can handle the wattage.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-TVX-210-EX-2X10-Bass-Speaker-Cabinet?sku=600561

^that cab would fit very well...hell, its even a peavey

As far as strings, thats really trial and error. It depends on what you play, how you play, and how thick/thin you like your strings. I've found that Ernie Ball strings are very consistent, but even with Power Slinkys (the heaviest 4-string gauge available), you cannot go below D-standard tuning without the strings flopping around too much. DiAdarrio strings are inexpensive but otherwise unremarkable. GHS heavy bass boomers will work until about C# standard (and they last a long time too). But if you're looking to drop anything below C#, go with Dunlop light gauge 5-string strings (just leave off the top string). But by far the coolest strings for standard tuning that I've played are the DR Black Beauties. Not only do they feel great to play on, but they look positively BADASS.

I'm not even going to bother to answer that last question, Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gear Questions/Discussions Thread   Gear Questions/Discussions Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Gear Questions/Discussions Thread

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2 Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Lifer :: Music :: The Musician's Corner -