Lifer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesMusic Review BlogMovie Review BlogRegisterLog in

Share  | 

Movie Review: La Traversée (The Crossing)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Dawn Bearer
On Parole
On Parole
Dawn Bearer

Movie Review: La Traversée  (The Crossing) Vide
PostSubject: Movie Review: La Traversée (The Crossing)   Movie Review: La Traversée  (The Crossing) EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 1:37 pm

Title: La Traversée (The Crossing)
Rating: 4/5
Genre: Documentary
Director: Aurélie Du Boys
Language: French

I believe my great admiration and the status I give to "Yann Tiersen" is no secret, so it is quite natural that I end up watching this film that documents the process of making his 5th album, "Les Retrouvailles", which happens to be one of my favorite albums of all time. The is a work that enters with ease to the heArt. There is no dramatizing or romanticizing what goes on. There is no need to. "Aurélie" simply gracefully moves along letting "Tiersen's" music be the narrative with an elegant use of imagery of "Brittany", of which "Tiersen" comes from and where the album was recorded. With no exaggeration, we see how the man has a beauty of his own and which he reflects in his own music. Naturally we see some bumps along the way, yet naturally they are overcome to produce such a remarkable work.

Staring with a live performance of "La Veillée", with the musicians sitting in the room, playing as the camera rotates showing us what is being done, we are introduced to the films tone and its theme, music. But to anyone who knows "Tiersen" and his music, it is not absurd to say that his music one-of-a-kind. And this is what the film relies on. Little by little, we are shown how "Tiersen" creates this music from this mysterious source within him. The camera is there, and with carefully selected angles depending on his moods, we know the man as he innocently "does" what he does. There is no acting here, no pretending, just an insight look into the world of a genius at work. As a mentioned, a visual work taking inspiration from his music and the eccentric way of creating it at times. I was especially moved with how "Mary" was used. A gloomy piece and one of the saddest in "Tiersen's" catalogue was accompanied with a video montage of seemingly simple images of rain, the coast, a ruined house… but it is the understanding of "Tiersen's" music is what made this film effective.

I believe "Aurélie" made a film directed more to "Tiersen's" fans rather than just spreading knowledge about the artist. As a big fan, and one who actually met Yann, I was very pleased with the result, but for some one new, it might be a bit confusing. We aren't introduced to what goes on, we just see the events flow. We aren't even introduced to who is who until the films credits come, but by that time all is done. I don't mind that much; I believe its simplicity in making is one of its aesthetics. Gracefully it began and gracefully it ends with us seeing the album being printed.

As I said, I believe this is directed more to "Tiersen" fan, they will appreciate it more, understand it better, and get easily immersed in it. Yet, it won't be a waste of time for those new to "Tiersen". It will help them get a glimpse of the artist and his music. I just sat down, watched from beginning to end, smiling, and as each minute passed, my admiration to "Tiersen" increased. "Aurélie" did a great job in showing us a side we didn't see before. Call it a voyage, we ride "Le Train", and we are off to explore and get peak, a better understanding of one unique musical genius that seems to create music of a source no one can understand.

Movie Review: La Traversée  (The Crossing) Dvd_tr10
Movie Review: La Traversée  (The Crossing) 010
Movie Review: La Traversée  (The Crossing) Yannti10
Movie Review: La Traversée  (The Crossing) Yann-t11
Back to top Go down

Movie Review: La Traversée (The Crossing)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Lifer :: General :: Writer's Den -