FAQHomeCalendarSearchMusic Review BlogMovie Review BlogRegisterLog in

Share  | 

The Official Football Thread (and I'm talking ACTUAL Football)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Christoff Odendaal
Into the Pit
Into the Pit

PostSubject: Re: The Official Football Thread (and I'm talking ACTUAL Football)   Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:45 am

Ziegenbartami wrote:
Christoff Odendaal wrote:
Huzzah. We're going to kick some French arse, we are Razz
Honestly, I think South Africa's the only group leader that might not advance. France have been inconsistent lately, but they *did* make it to the final in 2006. Also, Mexico and Uruguay should also prove to be difficult opponents.

Yeah, it's a tough group but I am pig-headedly going continue to insist that SA is going to win untill we lose, whereafter I will commence to blame refs and weather for our loss. That's just how football works Razz
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos

PostSubject: Re: The Official Football Thread (and I'm talking ACTUAL Football)   Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:54 am

Ziegenbartami wrote:
Huzzah. We're going to kick some French arse, we are Razz
Honestly, I think South Africa's the only group leader that might not advance. France have been inconsistent lately, but they *did* make it to the final in 2006. Also, Mexico and Uruguay should also prove to be difficult opponents.

Yeah, it's a tough group but I am pig-headedly going continue to insist that SA is going to win untill we lose, whereafter I will commence to blame refs and weather for our loss. That's just how football works Razz

We blame the Germans, even when we beat them.
Back to top Go down
http://lifer.heavenforum.com
Bidley
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury

PostSubject: Re: The Official Football Thread (and I'm talking ACTUAL Football)   Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:28 am

Our group is very favourable, but I rate the American team.

Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury

PostSubject: Re: The Official Football Thread (and I'm talking ACTUAL Football)   Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:34 pm

The mighty Fulham storm through to the last 32 of the Europa League. I'm fucking pleased.

Into the Pit
Into the Pit

PostSubject: Re: The Official Football Thread (and I'm talking ACTUAL Football)   Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:08 am

Bidley wrote:
The mighty Fulham storm through to the last 32 of the Europa League. I'm fucking pleased.

Fulham is nothing if compared to Man United, Liverpool and Arsenal. tongue

P.S : Fuck chelsea.
Back to top Go down
Ziegenbartami
Mantooth
Mantooth

PostSubject: Re: The Official Football Thread (and I'm talking ACTUAL Football)   Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:50 am

Mostafa wrote:
Bidley wrote:

Fuck ManUre tongue
Back to top Go down
Bidley
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury

PostSubject: Re: The Official Football Thread (and I'm talking ACTUAL Football)   Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:01 am

Mostafa wrote:
Bidley wrote:

The same Liverpool who're just 4 points ahead of us, having played a game more? The ones we beat 3-1?

But yeah, we're never going to compete with the Sky Four.
Back to top Go down
Christoff Odendaal
Into the Pit
Into the Pit

PostSubject: Re: The Official Football Thread (and I'm talking ACTUAL Football)   Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:55 pm

Mostafa wrote:
Bidley wrote:

Well at least Bids has the guts to support a team that isn't necessarily the best. People who just support Man U and Chelsea because they win all the time are no better than prostitutes. And yes I do realise how hypocritical I sound saying this as an Arsenal fan Razz
Back to top Go down
Christoff Odendaal
Into the Pit
Into the Pit

PostSubject: Re: The Official Football Thread (and I'm talking ACTUAL Football)   Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:55 pm

Ziegenbartami wrote:
Fuck ManUre tongue

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Bidley
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury

PostSubject: Re: The Official Football Thread (and I'm talking ACTUAL Football)   Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:04 pm

All the Man Utd hate is the same as Metallica hate. People only hate them because it's the done thing. Utd began their success by having a pool of talented youngsters brought through their ranks, and made money off the following success. Arsenal I have a lot of time for, but they seem to be a selling club (create brilliant players, then sell them in their prime), and Wenger's reluctance to buy anyone tall and strong is costing them trophies. Chelsea are a rich Russian's toy, and Liverpool have been living on past glories for years.

2Cents

Into the Pit
Into the Pit

PostSubject: Re: The Official Football Thread (and I'm talking ACTUAL Football)   Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:36 pm

Bidley wrote:
Mostafa wrote:
Bidley wrote:

The same Liverpool who're just 4 points ahead of us, having played a game more? The ones we beat 3-1?

But yeah, we're never going to compete with the Sky Four.

History favours Liver. tongue
Back to top Go down
Mostafa
Into the Pit
Into the Pit

PostSubject: Re: The Official Football Thread (and I'm talking ACTUAL Football)   Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:38 pm

Bidley wrote:
All the Man Utd hate is the same as Metallica hate. People only hate them because it's the done thing. Utd began their success by having a pool of talented youngsters brought through their ranks, and made money off the following success. Arsenal I have a lot of time for, but they seem to be a selling club (create brilliant players, then sell them in their prime), and Wenger's reluctance to buy anyone tall and strong is costing them trophies. Chelsea are a rich Russian's toy, and Liverpool have been living on past glories for years.

2Cents

My god !! fucking this ! every word man, well spoken. Looks like you actually know your soccer ( English one atleast tongue ) even though you're a Fulham fan. tongue
Back to top Go down
Bidley
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury

PostSubject: Re: The Official Football Thread (and I'm talking ACTUAL Football)   Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:44 pm

Lol, knowing stuff about football isn't difficult when you live in England.

Nothing wrong with the Cottagers mate, Big Roy turned down Inter Milan to coach Fulham! Razz

Into the Pit
Into the Pit

PostSubject: Re: The Official Football Thread (and I'm talking ACTUAL Football)   Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:49 pm

Bidley wrote:
Lol, knowing stuff about football isn't difficult when you live in England.

Nothing wrong with the Cottagers mate, Big Roy turned down Inter Milan to coach Fulham! Razz

Didnt say anything's wrong with them, they just can..do alot better. The English premier league needs fresh blood anyways to compete on the title, rather than the old Liver, MANU, Arsenal and Chelsea foursome. Same goes for Spanish league with Barca and Real. And the french, Lion's won it for like what 7 consecutive times xD ?
Back to top Go down
Bidley
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury

PostSubject: Re: The Official Football Thread (and I'm talking ACTUAL Football)   Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:57 pm

Fulham CAN'T do any better, that's the thing. We don't have the money to buy top players, and we can't attract them either. We have got a few good performers, but they're not enough to propel us to title challengers. To be fair though, we've improved massively since Roy took the reigns. He joined mid-season in 07-08, and saved us from relegation. The next season, we got into Europe for the first time in our history. This season, we're in the top half of the league, having played numerous Europa League games on top of everything. PLUS, we got through the group stages for the first time too. I'm more than happy with that!

This season is the best EPL season for years. There's genuine competition for a Champions League place, what with Liverpool having a shocker and Spurs, Man City and Villa all looking very strong. But the monopoly of the top four is a tough tier to break into.

The french league is a joke Razz
Back to top Go down
Christoff Odendaal
Into the Pit
Into the Pit

PostSubject: Re: The Official Football Thread (and I'm talking ACTUAL Football)   Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:53 am

Bidley wrote:

2Cents

Shit, lot of truth in that paragraph. I can't agree more on the Arsenal point, that's right on the money, imo. And what you said about Chelsea and Liverpool as well. And to an extent I also agree with you about Man U. I actually don't have any problem with the club and I know that Sir Alex is a brilliant manager, but I HATE Man U "supporters". Most of them don't know a bloody thing about football and just follow the stream (many parallels with Metallica, indeed Razz ) by supporting the winners. That's the source of my Man U-hate. And yes, I realise I once again sound hypocritical as an Arsenal fan Razz
Back to top Go down
Bidley
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury

PostSubject: Re: The Official Football Thread (and I'm talking ACTUAL Football)   Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:06 am

I know what you mean about the arrogant glory hunters, but where there's success, there're cunts Razz

Oh, and Fulham beat United 3-0 today. I watched it with my United-supporting mate - it was sweet Very Happy

Into the Pit
Into the Pit

PostSubject: Re: The Official Football Thread (and I'm talking ACTUAL Football)   Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:53 pm

Yeah, I fell asleep just before the game began and when I wake up and saw the score I couldn't help feeling very smug tongue
Back to top Go down
Neon_Knight_
Into the Pit
Into the Pit

PostSubject: Re: The Official Football Thread (and I'm talking ACTUAL Football)   Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:04 pm

How did I miss this thread? Sad
I support Spurs and Exeter City.

Carl: I would much rather see Man Utd win the league than any other team aside from Spurs. They always play good football and have less cheating scum than the rest of the big four. Good result for you the other day Wink
Back to top Go down
Ziegenbartami
Mantooth
Mantooth

PostSubject: Re: The Official Football Thread (and I'm talking ACTUAL Football)   Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:56 pm

Neon_Knight_ wrote:
They always play good football and have less cheating scum than the rest of the big four.
That actually might be half true now that Christina Ronaldo's with Madrid Razz
Back to top Go down
Bidley
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury

PostSubject: Re: The Official Football Thread (and I'm talking ACTUAL Football)   Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:02 pm

Neon_Knight_ wrote:

Carl: I would much rather see Man Utd win the league than any other team aside from Spurs. They always play good football and have less cheating scum than the rest of the big four. Good result for you the other day Wink

And a good result for your lot against us Razz I didn't watch it, but apparently Gomes kept you in it!
Back to top Go down
Neon_Knight_
Into the Pit
Into the Pit

PostSubject: Re: The Official Football Thread (and I'm talking ACTUAL Football)   Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:48 am

Bidley wrote:
Neon_Knight_ wrote:

And a good result for your lot against us Razz I didn't watch it, but apparently Gomes kept you in it!

I was actually referring to you beating united 3-0. You were the better team, but at WHL it will be a different story. I'm not too sure why King, Huddlestone, Modric and Defoe were all rested that game. All of them were said to be fit the day before.

I've been rather impressed by Fulham the last couple of seasons. Hodgson has just signed a new contract.
Back to top Go down
Neon_Knight_
Into the Pit
Into the Pit

PostSubject: Re: The Official Football Thread (and I'm talking ACTUAL Football)   Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:20 am

Bidley wrote:

2Cents

What brilliant players have Arsenal created? Their young players are poached from little clubs. The only player of any significance to come from their youth team in recent years is David Bentley, who was sold on the cheap without getting a chance at first team football at Arsenal.
I'm really not convinced that Wenger 'chose' not to spend. Arsenal are massively in debt after building Emirates (were apparently already 100-200m in the red), so they probably used any money from sales for loan repayments. They've always been very discrete about their poor state of finances.
They were right to cash in on Adebayour, just needed to buy another striker for around 10m to replace him. He was a waste of space.

I agree with the rest of what you said.
United earned every penny they have spent by having a good youth academy. It's a bit of a shame West Ham didn't have similar success from their great youth players. Would have led the way forward and prevented the current state of the transfer market.
Liverpool have bought in far too many foreign players who can't cut it in the more physical English game. And why did they sell Alonso? scratch It's really quite funny how their owners now can't afford the new stadium or any players good enough to challenge for the title.
Man City and (to a lesser extent) Spurs have more money than Arsenal or Liverpool, so as soon as one of them breaks in to the top four that's where all the good players will go. I don't think Aston Villa are as capable of improving upon their current squad, so even if they finish 4th this season, I'd bet on Man City and Spurs overtaking them next season.
Back to top Go down
Bidley
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury

PostSubject: Re: The Official Football Thread (and I'm talking ACTUAL Football)   Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:14 pm

Quote :
What brilliant players have Arsenal created? Their young players are poached from little clubs.

Ah, you're a staunch Spurs fan, aren't you Razz

While you are right in what you say, the players that came through their academy (yes, they were signed, but they came through the academy just the same as players like Bentley) weren't the finished article when they joined from their clubs. Players like Fabregas, Clichey, Walcott (although he hasn't been consistent) are all (at least in the former two's case) the real deal. Then there's players like Wilshere, Simpson, Gibbs, Merida, Vela, Ramsey (to a lesser extent, being as he was looking decent at Cardiff) are all showing promise too. Don't get me wrong, I don't like his policy of buying youngsters from abroad, but it's produced some wonderful players.
Whether he had the option of splashing the cash or not, Wenger has done a good job on a shoestring budget, all things considered.

Quote :
And why did they sell Alonso?

He was unsettled due to Rafa's ham-fisted handling of the Barry transfer saga. Alonso was being offered to Juventus amongst other clubs to finance the Barry deal. Which never happened. And Alonso left anyway. Now that's funny Very Happy

Speaking of Gareth "I want Champions League football because I'm not getting any younger" Barry - he's done himself no favours by jumping the Villa ship to rake in the cash at Man City.

Into the Pit
Into the Pit

PostSubject: Re: The Official Football Thread (and I'm talking ACTUAL Football)   Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:04 pm

Bidley wrote:

While you are right in what you say, the players that came through their academy (yes, they were signed, but they came through the academy just the same as players like Bentley) weren't the finished article when they joined from their clubs. Players like Fabregas, Clichey, Walcott (although he hasn't been consistent) are all (at least in the former two's case) the real deal. Then there's players like Wilshere, Simpson, Gibbs, Merida, Vela, Ramsey (to a lesser extent, being as he was looking decent at Cardiff) are all showing promise too. Don't get me wrong, I don't like his policy of buying youngsters from abroad, but it's produced some wonderful players.
Whether he had the option of splashing the cash or not, Wenger has done a good job on a shoestring budget, all things considered.

Has Walcott actually improved at Arsenal? He was pretty good at in the Championship, but now he's just an average Premiership player. Even if I were an Arsenal fan, I'd admit that Lennon is twice the player Walcott is. Clichey...is he any good? scratch I don't rate him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Official Football Thread (and I'm talking ACTUAL Football)   

Back to top Go down

The Official Football Thread (and I'm talking ACTUAL Football)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4 Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Lifer :: General :: General Discussion -