Lifer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesMusic Review BlogMovie Review BlogRegisterLog in

Share  | 

New Section

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
Bidley
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
Bidley

New Section Vide
PostSubject: New Section   New Section EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 11:58 am

Does anyone else think it would be a good idea to give the stickied topics in the Metal section their own pidgeonhole? There are quite a few, so any new topics in the Metal section are quite near the bottom. Anyone reckon this would be a bit more organised?
Back to top Go down
Peter
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
Peter

New Section Vide
PostSubject: Re: New Section   New Section EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 12:07 pm

Good proposal, I wouldn't mind it
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
Rosalind

New Section Vide
PostSubject: Re: New Section   New Section EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 12:11 pm

It could be set up so that the genre topics are in their own section (the 'official' threads) and whilst people can post, they can't make new topics. They would make them elsewhere and if they kick off get moved. If we did this, I'd want to put the metal with the non-metal though (at least the ones with a few responses anyway).
Back to top Go down
http://lifer.heavenforum.com
Bidley
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
Bidley

New Section Vide
PostSubject: Re: New Section   New Section EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 12:17 pm

Rosalind wrote:
If we did this, I'd want to put the metal with the non-metal though (at least the ones with a few responses anyway).

Why?
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
Rosalind

New Section Vide
PostSubject: Re: New Section   New Section EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 12:18 pm

Bidley wrote:
Rosalind wrote:
If we did this, I'd want to put the metal with the non-metal though (at least the ones with a few responses anyway).

Why?

Because theres just as much of an issue of overcrowding from stickied topics there as there is in the metal discussion.
Back to top Go down
Bidley
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
Bidley

New Section Vide
PostSubject: Re: New Section   New Section EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 4:19 am

How will combining Metal and non-Metal makes thing less overcrowded? Am I missing something?
Back to top Go down
LegionOvDoom
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
LegionOvDoom

New Section Vide
PostSubject: Re: New Section   New Section EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 6:47 am

Combining the two is a bad idea. I think if were considering giving the stickied topics their own section, we may as well just look into creating the sub-sections of the metal and non-metal areas. Not one for EVERY genre, but general ones.

Metal
- Traditional/Power Metal
- Doom/Stoner/Sludge Metal
- Death/Grind Metal
- Black Metal
- Avante Garde/Prog Metal

Non-Metal
- Rock
- Pop
- Hip Hop/Rap
- Country
- Indie

You get the idea.
Back to top Go down
http://tonsotunes.blogspot.com/
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
Rosalind

New Section Vide
PostSubject: Re: New Section   New Section EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 8:10 am

Bidwell: In a new section. A third section of 'official' topics, as both the metal and non-metal forums have a huge amount of stickied topics as it stands.

Dales idea is better, though I'd still want to limit it to fewer forums. Maybe:

Metal
  • Trad/Power/Thrash
  • Doom/Stoner/Sludge
  • Death/Black/Grind
  • Avant-Garde/Prog/Folk

Non-Metal
  • Rock/Punk/Indie
  • Other

Basically, i'd add subsections to the forums, keeping the Main section for more general threads and then sub-forums for the specifics.
Back to top Go down
LegionOvDoom
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
LegionOvDoom

New Section Vide
PostSubject: Re: New Section   New Section EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 8:16 am

Rosalind wrote:
Bidwell: In a new section. A third section of 'official' topics, as both the metal and non-metal forums have a huge amount of stickied topics as it stands.

Dales idea is better, though I'd still want to limit it to fewer forums. Maybe:

Metal
  • Trad/Power/Thrash
  • Doom/Stoner/Sludge
  • Death/Black/Grind
  • Avant-Garde/Prog/Folk

Non-Metal
  • Rock/Punk/Indie
  • Other

Basically, i'd add subsections to the forums, keeping the Main section for more general threads and then sub-forums for the specifics.

For the non-rock I would at least include a country, rap/hip, and maybe a punk (which of course would be punk/hardcore/etc.) section apart from the rock and indie sections. Not really logical to have an "other" section where country and hip hop would be stuffed. I like the metal breakdown, though. That's almost how I have my music arranged on my HD.
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
Rosalind

New Section Vide
PostSubject: Re: New Section   New Section EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 8:29 am

LegionOvDoom wrote:
For the non-rock I would at least include a country, rap/hip, and maybe a punk (which of course would be punk/hardcore/etc.) section apart from the rock and indie sections. Not really logical to have an "other" section where country and hip hop would be stuffed. I like the metal breakdown, though. That's almost how I have my music arranged on my HD.

My music isn't arranged on my HDD. Razz

The main issue with the non-metal forums is that they're largely dead by comparison. We make too many sub-sections, half of them aren't ever gonna be used. It wouldn't just be country and hip-hop in there, it would also be classical, jazz, blues, ambient, electronica, and others im sure im missing. Half of those have gotten less than 30 responses since the forum began, and we can always split it again further down the line.
Back to top Go down
AarO)))n
Hellbent for Lifer
Hellbent for Lifer
AarO)))n

New Section Vide
PostSubject: Re: New Section   New Section EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 8:36 am

How about going by views and not posts? Perhaps some look and download but never post? The Country thread has more views then the Prog-Rock, Ambient, or Jazz. Just because they are not posting doesn't mean they are not looking and downloading.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/musickfreeck
LegionOvDoom
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
LegionOvDoom

New Section Vide
PostSubject: Re: New Section   New Section EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 8:39 am

Rosalind wrote:
LegionOvDoom wrote:

My music isn't arranged on my HDD. Razz

The main issue with the non-metal forums is that they're largely dead by comparison. We make too many sub-sections, half of them aren't ever gonna be used. It wouldn't just be country and hip-hop in there, it would also be classical, jazz, blues, ambient, electronica, and others im sure im missing. Half of those have gotten less than 30 responses since the forum began, and we can always split it again further down the line.

This is true. I dont know.

Personally, I hate the sticky topics. I rarely go in them because there are so many posts and so many different artists in there. It's just like "The Wall", which is sort of stupid in my opinion for a forum. You want to discuss a new topic/artist, make a new thread.
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
Rosalind

New Section Vide
PostSubject: Re: New Section   New Section EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 8:52 am

Aaron: Going by views, the most viewed topics go:

Hip-Hop ~600
Punk/Ska/Hardcore ~450
Post-Rock ~250
Prog-Rock ~250
Horror Punk ~250
Country ~250

That would make the divide between rock and non-rock about 1200:850. Thats why it seems redundant to split the SMALLER of the two even further, when they aren't talked about, read or discussed anywhere near as much as other genres.

Dale: Splitting it as I suggested would reduce the number of stickies to 5 and 8 respectively, which isn't too bad. At least not as bad as requiring all the scrolling as it does now.
Back to top Go down
AarO)))n
Hellbent for Lifer
Hellbent for Lifer
AarO)))n

New Section Vide
PostSubject: Re: New Section   New Section EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 9:02 am

So now instead of having to scroll. I will now have to go through discussions of Rap, Jazz, Ambient, Electronica, Blues, Funk, and Classical in order to discuss Country or post a new rec. How is that better than having it's own thread or more convenient? I would also say coming BM, DM, and Grind is a bit much. I LOVE BM. But could care less about DM and have minimal interest in Grind. As for the DOOM/Sludge/Stoner. That make far more sense. The similarities are far more than combing the other three. Why not make a section for sticked topics(Metal and Non) and a one for general discussion for either?
Back to top Go down
LegionOvDoom
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
LegionOvDoom

New Section Vide
PostSubject: Re: New Section   New Section EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 9:08 am

AarO)))n wrote:
Why not make a section for sticked topics(Metal and Non) and a one for general discussion for either?

That's just ridiculous now haha.

I don't see what the problem would be in having sections that aren't visited as much. Over time they will build as membership grows. It's not like it would hurt the forum any, which is why I would suggest having the split, sub-forums. I think it's just WAY more organized and has a better flow as far as webpage design goes.
Back to top Go down
AarO)))n
Hellbent for Lifer
Hellbent for Lifer
AarO)))n

New Section Vide
PostSubject: Re: New Section   New Section EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 9:14 am

LegionOvDoom wrote:
AarO)))n wrote:
Why not make a section for sticked topics(Metal and Non) and a one for general discussion for either?

I don't see what the problem would be in having sections that aren't visited as much. Over time they will build as membership grows. It's not like it would hurt the forum any, which is why I would suggest having the split, sub-forums. I think it's just WAY more organized and has a better flow as far as webpage design goes.

Is it any more ridiculous than combining Country, Classical, and Jazz. To be honest. I don't see what all the fuss is about. If it ain't broke why fix it? So you have to scroll, so what. You want to save room? Get rid of threads where people ask for recs for genres that have their own thread. I don't mind providing recs. But to ask for DOOM recs when there is a DOOM thread full of recs, what is the point?
Back to top Go down
LegionOvDoom
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
LegionOvDoom

New Section Vide
PostSubject: Re: New Section   New Section EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 9:24 am

AarO)))n wrote:
LegionOvDoom wrote:
AarO)))n wrote:

Is it any more ridiculous than combining Country, Classical, and Jazz. To be honest. I don't see what all the fuss is about. If it ain't broke why fix it? So you have to scroll, so what. You want to save room? Get rid of threads where people ask for recs for genres that have their own thread. I don't mind providing recs. But to ask for DOOM recs when there is a DOOM thread full of recs, what is the point?

I just believe over my years of forum hoping that having a section breakdown like I layed out would be good. Im not a fan of cramming country/jazz/hiphop/etc together. I dont mind if we have a section with 10 threads in it and its very slow. I honestly dont think it matters. The people who are interested will use it and thats what its there for.
Back to top Go down
AarO)))n
Hellbent for Lifer
Hellbent for Lifer
AarO)))n

New Section Vide
PostSubject: Re: New Section   New Section EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 9:29 am

LegionOvDoom wrote:

I just believe over my years of forum hoping that having a section breakdown like I layed out would be good. Im not a fan of cramming country/jazz/hiphop/etc together. I dont mind if we have a section with 10 threads in it and its very slow. I honestly dont think it matters. The people who are interested will use it and thats what its there for.

I agree with all of this. The way you had the sections put together made more sense to me. DM and Grind have more in common than BM. The more music threads the better. It just means more people exposed to more music. Isn't that what this is all about?
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
Rosalind

New Section Vide
PostSubject: Re: New Section   New Section EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 9:41 am

New threads wont magically appear. Its for convenience rather than anything else. You\'d have to wade through LESS threads to get to your country thread. The threads wont be deleted, only moved to a new sub-forum. Im not talking about merging all of them into one thread here, im talking about creating a new forum for them.

I just think having too many categories is overkill.

EDIT: In case others are misunderstanding me here, here is how I\'d plan to lay it out:

• Admin Announcements
  • Idea\'s and Suggestions
  • Music News
  • Metal Discussion
    • Power/Trad/Thrash
    • Doom/Sludge/Stoner
    • Death/Black/Grind
    • Prog/Avant-Garde/Folk
  • Non-Metal Discussion
    • Rock
    • Other

This means that under metal discussion could go the general threads (share your mixes and the like) and under the new subforums would go the appropriate discussion. Im not talking about threads here, but a new forum category.

Last edited by Rosalind on Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LegionOvDoom
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
LegionOvDoom

New Section Vide
PostSubject: Re: New Section   New Section EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 9:44 am

Rosalind wrote:
New threads wont magically appear. Its for convenience rather than anything else. You'd have to wade through LESS threads to get to your country thread. The threads wont be deleted, only moved to a new sub-forum. Im not talking about merging all of them into one thread here, im talking about creating a new forum for them.

I just think if we're going to make the new sub-forums, we should do it now while it is a smaller forum. Moving the current threads to their respective new forums is going to take a while as it is haha.
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
Rosalind

New Section Vide
PostSubject: Re: New Section   New Section EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 9:49 am

LegionOvDoom wrote:
Rosalind wrote:
New threads wont magically appear. Its for convenience rather than anything else. You'd have to wade through LESS threads to get to your country thread. The threads wont be deleted, only moved to a new sub-forum. Im not talking about merging all of them into one thread here, im talking about creating a new forum for them.

I just think if we're going to make the new sub-forums, we should do it now while it is a smaller forum. Moving the current threads to their respective new forums is going to take a while as it is haha.

True. Lets wait for a few more responses first though. I hate the idea of redundant categories.
Back to top Go down
Ziegenbartami
Mantooth
Mantooth
Ziegenbartami

New Section Vide
PostSubject: Re: New Section   New Section EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 10:23 am

Rosalind wrote:
New threads wont magically appear. Its for convenience rather than anything else. You\'d have to wade through LESS threads to get to your country thread. The threads wont be deleted, only moved to a new sub-forum. Im not talking about merging all of them into one thread here, im talking about creating a new forum for them.

EDIT: In case others are misunderstanding me here, here is how I\'d plan to lay it out:

• Admin Announcements
  • Music News
  • Metal Discussion
    • Power/Trad/Thrash
    • Doom/Sludge/Stoner
    • Death/Black/Grind
    • Prog/Avant-Garde/Folk
  • Non-Metal Discussion
    • Rock
    • Other

This means that under metal discussion could go the general threads (share your mixes and the like) and under the new subforums would go the appropriate discussion. Im not talking about threads here, but a new forum category.
This looks like a good layout to me. I think something similar was mentioned a while ago, where the metal category would be divided into 'extreme' and 'non-extreme' sub-genres, but this division would probably be even better.
Back to top Go down
Nautilus
Mantooth
Mantooth
Nautilus

New Section Vide
PostSubject: Re: New Section   New Section EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 1:39 pm

Well the prog thread was already small, can't expect much activity on my forum now.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/iwokeuptoday
Bidley
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
Bidley

New Section Vide
PostSubject: Re: New Section   New Section EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 4:36 am

Rosalind wrote:

• Admin Announcements
  • Music News
  • Metal Discussion
    • Power/Trad/Thrash
    • Doom/Sludge/Stoner
    • Death/Black/Grind
    • Prog/Avant-Garde/Folk
  • Non-Metal Discussion
    • Rock
    • Other

I'd be happy with that, or how about;

• Admin Announcements
  • Music News
  • Metal Discussion
    • Stickied Threads
    • Recommendations
    • General Metal Discussion
  • Non-Metal Discussion
    • Rock
    • Other

Just an idea.
Back to top Go down
Ziegenbartami
Mantooth
Mantooth
Ziegenbartami

New Section Vide
PostSubject: Re: New Section   New Section EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 7:44 am

Bidley wrote:
Rosalind wrote:

• Admin Announcements
  • Music News
  • Metal Discussion
    • Power/Trad/Thrash
    • Doom/Sludge/Stoner
    • Death/Black/Grind
    • Prog/Avant-Garde/Folk
  • Non-Metal Discussion
    • Rock
    • Other

I'd be happy with that, or how about;

• Admin Announcements
  • Music News
  • Metal Discussion
    • Stickied Threads
    • Recommendations
    • General Metal Discussion
  • Non-Metal Discussion
    • Rock
    • Other

Just an idea.
I prefer Thomas' suggested layout. It caters more towards individual taste, i.e. I don't listen to much doom/sludge/stoner or power/trad/thrash, so I'd be able to read the threads on sub-genres that interest me and ignore the ones that don't more effectively.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Section Vide
PostSubject: Re: New Section   New Section Empty

Back to top Go down

New Section

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2 Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Lifer :: News :: Ideas and Suggestions -