Lifer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesMusic Review BlogMovie Review BlogRegisterLog in

Share  | 

Switzerland banning Minarettes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
Rosalind

Switzerland banning Minarettes - Page 5 Vide
PostSubject: Re: Switzerland banning Minarettes   Switzerland banning Minarettes - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 2:58 pm

"Can you honestly say if you moved to another country you wouldn't feel more comfortable living among American immigrants and their descendants?"

I can understand it to an extent, but theres a big difference between having a cluster of friends from the same location and full blown segregation. I'd want a balance; if I moved to France I wouldn't want to be cooped up in a district that only spoke english, sold pies and bangers and mash and fish and chips, secluded from the "Real France." Instead i'd want to learn the language and try to understand the country a little better, attitudes personality, tendencies and so forth, and perhaps take a breather with another fellow brit down the pub every so often. If I wasn't interested in what was already there then why move in the first place?
Back to top Go down
http://lifer.heavenforum.com
son_ov_hades
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
son_ov_hades

PostSubject: Re: Switzerland banning Minarettes   Switzerland banning Minarettes - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 3:02 pm

Rosalind wrote:
"Can you honestly say if you moved to another country you wouldn't feel more comfortable living among American immigrants and their descendants?"

I can understand it to an extent, but theres a big difference between having a cluster of friends from the same location and full blown segregation. I'd want a balance; if I moved to France I wouldn't want to be cooped up in a district that only spoke english, sold pies and bangers and mash and fish and chips, secluded from the "Real France." Instead i'd want to learn the language and try to understand the country a little better, attitudes personality, tendencies and so forth, and perhaps take a breather with another fellow brit down the pub every so often. If I wasn't interested in what was already there then why move in the first place?

Yeah we are at an agreement here.
Back to top Go down
son_ov_hades
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
son_ov_hades

PostSubject: Re: Switzerland banning Minarettes   Switzerland banning Minarettes - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 3:11 pm

The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
Oliver's Travels - Switzerland
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show
Full Episodes
Political HumorHealth Care Crisis

Illustrates the ridiculousness of the minaret ban perfectly!
Back to top Go down
AarO)))n
Hellbent for Lifer
Hellbent for Lifer
AarO)))n

PostSubject: Re: Switzerland banning Minarettes   Switzerland banning Minarettes - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 3:21 pm

son_ov_hades wrote:
Fair enough. I can agree to some extent, but can't get on board with you're nationalist tendencies. Understand I'm not trying to insult you, I'm just a flaming liberal and nationalism is not my thing. I do agree that communities isolating themselves is of course a bad thing, but these communities existing is fine by me. Can you honestly say if you moved to another country you wouldn't feel more comfortable living among American immigrants and their descendants?

What Thomas said. Also. Despite what I may have been saying. I am quite liberal in many of my political views. I say I am Socially Liberal and Fiscally Conservative. My days as a registered Republican may so be coming to an end as religious thought gives way to rational thought in the Republican party. I never took it as an insult too much. I mean I know I am not a xenophobe or a racist. Though some of my views can be seen as such.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/musickfreeck
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
Rosalind

PostSubject: Re: Switzerland banning Minarettes   Switzerland banning Minarettes - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 3:29 pm

AarO)))n wrote:
son_ov_hades wrote:
Fair enough. I can agree to some extent, but can't get on board with you're nationalist tendencies. Understand I'm not trying to insult you, I'm just a flaming liberal and nationalism is not my thing. I do agree that communities isolating themselves is of course a bad thing, but these communities existing is fine by me. Can you honestly say if you moved to another country you wouldn't feel more comfortable living among American immigrants and their descendants?

What Thomas said. Also. Despite what I may have been saying. I am quite liberal in many of my political views. I say I am Socially Liberal and Fiscally Conservative. My days as a registered Republican may so be coming to an end as religious thought gives way to rational thought in the Republican party. I never took it as an insult too much. I mean I know I am not a xenophobe or a racist. Though some of my views can be seen as such.

In the days when drinking your coffee black can be considered offensive, EVERYTHING makes you look racist Razz
Back to top Go down
Ziegenbartami
Mantooth
Mantooth
Ziegenbartami

PostSubject: Re: Switzerland banning Minarettes   Switzerland banning Minarettes - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 3:38 pm

AarO)))n wrote:

Perhaps you ought to consider the Libertarian Party Wink *nudge*nudge*
Back to top Go down
AarO)))n
Hellbent for Lifer
Hellbent for Lifer
AarO)))n

PostSubject: Re: Switzerland banning Minarettes   Switzerland banning Minarettes - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 3:43 pm

Rosalind wrote:

In the days when drinking your coffee black can be considered offensive, EVERYTHING makes you look racist Razz

And this is why I don't drink coffee. tongue
Back to top Go down
AarO)))n
Hellbent for Lifer
Hellbent for Lifer
AarO)))n

PostSubject: Re: Switzerland banning Minarettes   Switzerland banning Minarettes - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 3:44 pm

Ziegenbartami wrote:
AarO)))n wrote:

Perhaps you ought to consider the Libertarian Party Wink *nudge*nudge*
My soon happen. If Palin get the nod to go against Obama I am packing my bags faster than you can Neo-Con.
Back to top Go down
Christoff Odendaal
Into the Pit
Into the Pit
Christoff Odendaal

PostSubject: Re: Switzerland banning Minarettes   Switzerland banning Minarettes - Page 5 EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 1:39 am

son_ov_hades wrote:
Yeah I didn't mean any offensive or anything. The term is so flawed though, even Australia is part of the "western" world. Sure Europe, America, Australia, and yes South Africa share a lot of common political and cultural ideas, but using a geographic descriptor doesn't really make sense.

I understand your argument, but I disagree that the type of immigration going on in western Europe is displacing European culture. You make a valid argument, and I think we're not gonna get much farther from here. Agree to disagree I guess, this was fun though. Very Happy

Yep, it 'twas indeed fun. Till next time Very Happy
Back to top Go down
son_ov_hades
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
son_ov_hades

PostSubject: Re: Switzerland banning Minarettes   Switzerland banning Minarettes - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 8:55 am

Really fascinating article for those still interested in this.
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
Rosalind

PostSubject: Re: Switzerland banning Minarettes   Switzerland banning Minarettes - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 8:57 am

son_ov_hades wrote:

It was interesting when Odendaal posted it, and its still interesting Razz
Back to top Go down
son_ov_hades
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
son_ov_hades

PostSubject: Re: Switzerland banning Minarettes   Switzerland banning Minarettes - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 9:50 am

Rosalind wrote:
son_ov_hades wrote:

I thought it seemed familiar lol. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
Rosalind

PostSubject: Re: Switzerland banning Minarettes   Switzerland banning Minarettes - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 10:05 am

son_ov_hades wrote:
Rosalind wrote:
son_ov_hades wrote:

lol, still, there might have been others who missed it.
Back to top Go down
Peter
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
Peter

PostSubject: Re: Switzerland banning Minarettes   Switzerland banning Minarettes - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 10:58 am

Pretty good article, but I really don't care about it anymore Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Christoff Odendaal
Into the Pit
Into the Pit
Christoff Odendaal

PostSubject: Re: Switzerland banning Minarettes   Switzerland banning Minarettes - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 1:06 am

son_ov_hades wrote:
Rosalind wrote:
son_ov_hades wrote:

lol Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Switzerland banning Minarettes   Switzerland banning Minarettes - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Switzerland banning Minarettes

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 5 Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Lifer :: General :: Debater's Den -