Lifer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesMusic Review BlogMovie Review BlogRegisterLog in

Share  | 

Movie Review: Extract

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
Rosalind

Movie Review: Extract Vide
PostSubject: Movie Review: Extract   Movie Review: Extract EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 9:47 am

Title: Extract
Rating: 3/5
Genre: Comedy
Starring: Jason Bateman, Mila Kunis, Kristen Wiig, Ben Affleck
Director: Mike Judge

Mike Judge is always one director who I will make exception for, disproving the tired cliché of the same character driven comedy that has plagued us in recent times, filled with moronic slapstick jokes performed by moronic characters and with a film that looks set to rediscover the success of the cult classic ‘Office Space,’ I was fairly excited by what else he could bring to the table. Sadly, his main directorial departure with this film seems to have been for the very same slapstick comedy that through overuse has earned my derision.

With Joel (Bateman) at the centre of the story, he is torn between his company – producing ‘Reynolds Extract’ – and his sexual frustration of his unsatisfying marriage to Suzie (Wiig). Contending with idiotic co-workers whilst desperately struggling to sell his company in order to find the time to reaffirm his marriage, his spiral of depression quickly lands him many nights at the local bar for some bad advice from Dean the bartender (Affleck). Things only escalate when an injury lands ‘Step,’ one of his employees in hospital, and gains the unwanted attention of scam artist Cindy (Kunis), and as things go from bad to worse he struggles to piece his life back together.

Rather surprisingly, the cast felt incredibly well chosen; the deadpan of Bateman wonderfully contrasting some of the more minor eccentric character roles, which often felt more interesting than some of the larger parts. Both Kunis and Wiig lending little more than their bodies to the proceedings, it was the scenes with the likes of Brad (Dustin Milligan) as the mentally challenged Gigolo; Mary (Beth Grant) as the loud-mouthed shop-floor worker; Nathan (David Koechner) as the most boring neighbour in existence and Rory (T.J. Miller) the knuckle-dragging grindcore musician, whose simple mannerisms elicited much of the humour. Even the cameo performance from Gene Simmons (KISS) didn’t feel out of place or unjustified, and Affleck who I usually have little nice to say about feels perfectly suited to his role.

The script too for the most part feels well written, allowing for a situational comedy that can be performed in a serious manner, the various characters themselves lending enough variety to not be overused in the context of the film. Like his last film, ‘Idiocracy,’ much of the humour is derived from these moronic counterparts, but there is only so long time can be spent mocking the easy targets, and there are points here where this style overstays its welcome sadly to be replaced by the serious leads, which whilst furthering the plot does little to elicit a response.

But this isn’t my main issue here; the plot in itself fairly interesting to watch, but it’s the lack of tension created that is the films major downfall. You can visibly see things are getting worse, but the character fails to change at all throughout the course of the film, there is no indication of his growing frustrations manifesting in a visible manner and this results in a rather flat atmosphere. The ending as a result seems resolved out of nowhere, finished abruptly with an unsatisfying resolution that feels as much back to where it started as anything more. This is easily his worst film to date, and it’s only when you put it into context and realise its still better than most other recent releases that you remember why this is one genre I rarely find the energy to explore. Don’t go in expecting more than an interesting introverted story capable of eliciting a couple of chuckles along the way and you’ll get along fine.

Back to top Go down
http://lifer.heavenforum.com

Movie Review: Extract

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Lifer :: General :: Writer's Den -