Lifer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesMusic Review BlogMovie Review BlogRegisterLog in

Share  | 

The Official Confessions Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Bidley
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
Bidley

The Official Confessions Thread - Page 4 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The Official Confessions Thread   The Official Confessions Thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 4:41 pm

son_ov_hades wrote:
Rosalind wrote:
son_ov_hades wrote:
turkeyballs wrote:
Reading that, I think I used to have this social anxiety disorder. I think I've "grown out of it", or at least adjusted to my surroundings, though. Very Happy

You probably didn't have it then. It's more likely you just had childhood "shyness", considering you're only 15. I'm 22 and it gets worse everyday, when I was 15 I had little in the way of symptoms.

Most psychological disorders don't truly manifest until late teens.

But as an aside, you should talk to a psychologist about this.

I know I should get help, I've known for about two years. Sad

That sucks dude, why didn't you do anything earlier?
Back to top Go down
son_ov_hades
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
son_ov_hades

PostSubject: Re: The Official Confessions Thread   The Official Confessions Thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 4:56 pm

Bidley wrote:
son_ov_hades wrote:
Rosalind wrote:
son_ov_hades wrote:
turkeyballs wrote:
Reading that, I think I used to have this social anxiety disorder. I think I've "grown out of it", or at least adjusted to my surroundings, though. Very Happy

You probably didn't have it then. It's more likely you just had childhood "shyness", considering you're only 15. I'm 22 and it gets worse everyday, when I was 15 I had little in the way of symptoms.

Well for a long time I couldn't admit it to even myself, I've repressed emotion my whole life. Right now I'm so afraid to be judged that I don't talk about it at all, this is the internets so it doesn't bother me but irl I'm very good at putting up a front. I like to just pretend things aren't there and hope the go away.

BTW, sorry for turning this into a pity thread.
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
Rosalind

PostSubject: Re: The Official Confessions Thread   The Official Confessions Thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 5:03 pm

son_ov_hades wrote:
Bidley wrote:
son_ov_hades wrote:
Rosalind wrote:
son_ov_hades wrote:
turkeyballs wrote:

Well for a long time I couldn't admit it to even myself, I've repressed emotion my whole life. Right now I'm so afraid to be judged that I don't talk about it at all, this is the internets so it doesn't bother me but irl I'm very good at putting up a front. I like to just pretend things aren't there and hope the go away.

Give it a couple of sides. Topics rarely stay on topic.

I know what you mean though, about the internet and putting on fronts. You still ought to talk to a proffessional about this in private.
Back to top Go down
http://lifer.heavenforum.com
Bidley
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
Bidley

PostSubject: Re: The Official Confessions Thread   The Official Confessions Thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 5:10 pm

son_ov_hades wrote:

Yeah, I hear that. You ought to face up to it though and get some kind of advice, like Tom said.

Last edited by Bidley on Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kamikaze
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
Kamikaze

PostSubject: Re: The Official Confessions Thread   The Official Confessions Thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 5:15 pm

I was like that too, but when I ended up in the hospital for drinking too much I figured it was time to get help. I'm much better now and only had a couple sessions of group therapy. On average the most sessions you'll have to end up going to is 10 and after that you'll pretty much be fixed for life. Your other option is to be on Prozac for the rest of your life. Think of it like this, you can go through a few sessions that make you anxious and then be done with it for the rest of your life, or you can go through life afraid of doing anything social, having no relationships of any kind, and dealing with all of the comorbid conditions that go along with it like depression.
Back to top Go down
Nautilus
Mantooth
Mantooth
Nautilus

PostSubject: Re: The Official Confessions Thread   The Official Confessions Thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 6:50 pm

Geoff: -hug- Don't worry about it dude. We're all brothers (OV METL) here. If you have anyone you have us.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/iwokeuptoday
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
Rosalind

PostSubject: Re: The Official Confessions Thread   The Official Confessions Thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 6:54 pm

Nautilus wrote:
Geoff: -hug- Don't worry about it dude. We're all brothers (OV METL) here. If you have anyone you have us.

Shhh. You'll just depress him further Razz
Back to top Go down
The Entity
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
The Entity

PostSubject: Re: The Official Confessions Thread   The Official Confessions Thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 6:57 pm

I have this ugly-ass scab on my left leg close to my knee-cap. It's wider than my thumb and slightly longer than said appendage.
Back to top Go down
Kwartin
Into the Pit
Into the Pit
Kwartin

PostSubject: Re: The Official Confessions Thread   The Official Confessions Thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 7:03 pm

I enjoy that new Linkin Park song, The New Divide or whatever.
It's not bad for a change of pace.
*holds up flame shield*
>.<
Back to top Go down
turkeyballs
Into the Pit
Into the Pit
turkeyballs

PostSubject: Re: The Official Confessions Thread   The Official Confessions Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 6:57 pm

son_ov_hades wrote:
turkeyballs wrote:

Maybe. I guess I had some pretty extreme "childhood shyness".

Anybody have any recommendations for reading on this subject? Wikipedia is good for general information and all, but I'd like to delve a little deeper.
Back to top Go down
son_ov_hades
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
son_ov_hades

PostSubject: Re: The Official Confessions Thread   The Official Confessions Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 7:06 pm

http://www.adaa.org/GettingHelp/AnxietyDisorders/SocialPhobia.asp
Back to top Go down
turkeyballs
Into the Pit
Into the Pit
turkeyballs

PostSubject: Re: The Official Confessions Thread   The Official Confessions Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 7:38 pm

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
Rosalind

PostSubject: Re: The Official Confessions Thread   The Official Confessions Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 10:29 am

New Confession: TV Habits

So I sat in bed watching "The Cleaner," when I came to the conclusion that my TV watching habits are strongly based to characters I have grown to like, rather than the actual show itself.

Example: Firefly. Yes, i've rewatched the episodes more times than I can count, learnt half a dozen of the Chinese phrases and know that the safe word from Serenity (Nak Nuram nasch mehk - I think) is Russian for "The Chickens are laughing at you - an in-joke where Joss Whedon once promised to work chickens somewhere into the script. To call myself a browncoat (or for the uninitiated, a Firefly nut) would be something of an understatement.

Result?

Summer Glau: I've seen both Seasons of Sarah Connor chronicles because she plays the Terminator. I've watched her role in the sci-fi film "Mammoth" three times despite it being mediocre at best, watched the first season and a half of "4400" before realising she was no longer in it, not coming back, and the show was a bit shit.

Sean Maher: The doctor from the show, I would later see in "Living to the End" - a Romcom he starred in. Outside of normal genre viewing but oddly satisfying.

Jewel Staite: Yes, I cheered when she announced her role in Stargate Atlantis, and it re-sparked my desire to catch up so I could see more cute and fluffy Jewel-Staite goodness.

Adam Baldwin: My attention happened to be drawn to "Chuck" when I found out he was in it. Coincidence?

Nathan Fillion: I actually endured an episode of "Desperate Housewives" to see him in action. It was rather like watching a dying fish - depressing to see it flail to survive but somehow you can't turn away. Oh, and "Dr. Horrible" is pure genius.

But thats not the only one. Would I be watching "The Cleaner" if not for Grace Park? (Somehow I doubt it). Would I have tuned in to "Dexter" if Julie Benz from "Angel" was not in it? (questionable). If not for my BSG/Kyle XY adoration would Caprica have ever been seen? (Magda Apanowicz from Kyle XY starred in it). And when I learnt
Spoiler:
I became saddened and began following her blog - something every so often I wander off to read and chuckle and aww.

Is growing attachment to certain actors and actresses wrong?
Back to top Go down
Kamikaze
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
Kamikaze

PostSubject: Re: The Official Confessions Thread   The Official Confessions Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 1:23 pm

No mention of the X-Files? The last season or so has Adam Baldwin in it.

Quote :
Anybody have any recommendations for reading on this subject?
Well, for basic information on it there's nothing better than the DSM IV-TR. It's the standard diagnostic manual every clinical psychologist and psychiatrist uses in the US. It's expensive, but you should be able to find stuff from it online.
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
Rosalind

PostSubject: Re: The Official Confessions Thread   The Official Confessions Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 1:29 pm

For five episodes? Pass.

Though Duchovny has warmed in me since watching the first couple of seasons of "Californication."
Back to top Go down
Nautilus
Mantooth
Mantooth
Nautilus

PostSubject: Re: The Official Confessions Thread   The Official Confessions Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 1:34 pm

I've found a lot of people do that with actors - movie or TV. I enjoy movies as well, but I'm not huge on them - the same way we are about music, I guess, where we can trace the lineage of bands and such.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/iwokeuptoday
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
Rosalind

PostSubject: Re: The Official Confessions Thread   The Official Confessions Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 1:43 pm

Nautilus wrote:
I've found a lot of people do that with actors - movie or TV. I enjoy movies as well, but I'm not huge on them - the same way we are about music, I guess, where we can trace the lineage of bands and such.

I found it less so with films. Rather I end up grouping those who made a positive impression against those who haven't. For example, Edward Norton (American History X, Fight Club, Death to Smoochy, Illusionist) in the positive column. Angelina Jolie (Girl,Interrupted, Wanted, Gone in 60 seconds) firmly in the negative column with only one good performance to her name. It may give me an idea what to expect from them, but I wouldn't actively seek out their work.

Directors, however, is a different story.

*looks at his collection of Miike and Wook-Park*
Back to top Go down
Kamikaze
Towards the Pantheon
Towards the Pantheon
Kamikaze

PostSubject: Re: The Official Confessions Thread   The Official Confessions Thread - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 10:15 am

You'll watch an episode of Desperate Housewives, but not a good show like The X-Files?
Back to top Go down
bleghman
Overlord of Pain
Overlord of Pain
bleghman

PostSubject: Re: The Official Confessions Thread   The Official Confessions Thread - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 11:22 am

Kamikaze wrote:
You'll watch an episode of Desperate Housewives, but not a good show like The X-Files?

you're talking to the guy who likes trannies Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
Rosalind

PostSubject: Re: The Official Confessions Thread   The Official Confessions Thread - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 11:50 am

Kamikaze wrote:

I've seen a couple of X-Files episodes in passing. I remember one about this genie and how he wrote a huge list of clauses for each of his wishes or something? Eh. I disagree that it was good. And no, DH wasn't either. And I haven't watched "The Unit" for Summer Glau either, and my Chuck watching time got cut short when I realised I had yet to find something amusing.

I said I end up following actors I enjoy watching, but that's not to say I don't have my tolerances.
Back to top Go down
philsegal
Overlord of Pain
Overlord of Pain
philsegal

PostSubject: Re: The Official Confessions Thread   The Official Confessions Thread - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 6:19 pm

Rosalind wrote:
Kamikaze wrote:

I've seen a couple of X-Files episodes in passing. I remember one about this genie and how he wrote a huge list of clauses for each of his wishes or something? Eh. I disagree that it was good. And no, DH wasn't either. And I haven't watched "The Unit" for Summer Glau either, and my Chuck watching time got cut short when I realised I had yet to find something amusing.

I said I end up following actors I enjoy watching, but that's not to say I don't have my tolerances.

You really have to watch the X-Files from the beginning to get into it.

I'm the same way with actors, though. I watched Let's Go To Prison (twice) and The Brothers Solomon, just because Will Arnett (from Arrested Development) was in them. It also helped that they were both directed by Bob Odenkirk (Mr. Show).
Back to top Go down
Rosalind
Caretaker of Chaos
Caretaker of Chaos
Rosalind

PostSubject: Re: The Official Confessions Thread   The Official Confessions Thread - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 6:31 pm

philsegal wrote:
Rosalind wrote:
Kamikaze wrote:

You really have to watch the X-Files from the beginning to get into it.

I'm the same way with actors, though. I watched Let's Go To Prison (twice) and The Brothers Solomon, just because Will Arnett (from Arrested Development) was in them. It also helped that they were both directed by Bob Odenkirk (Mr. Show).

Watch from the beginning...for five episodes at the end? Razz
Back to top Go down
Abominog
Facilitator of Fury
Facilitator of Fury
Abominog

PostSubject: Re: The Official Confessions Thread   The Official Confessions Thread - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 8:13 pm

I have never, nor will I ever stick my Ozzy "Bark At The Moon" doll up my ass. Just saying. Beard

Last edited by Abominog on Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AarO)))n
Hellbent for Lifer
Hellbent for Lifer
AarO)))n

PostSubject: Re: The Official Confessions Thread   The Official Confessions Thread - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 8:28 pm

Abominog wrote:
I have never, nor will I ever stick my Ozzy "Bark At The Moon" doll up my ass. Just saying. Beard

lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/musickfreeck
Ziegenbartami
Mantooth
Mantooth
Ziegenbartami

PostSubject: Re: The Official Confessions Thread   The Official Confessions Thread - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 8:29 pm

Abominog wrote:
Ihave never, nor will I ever stick my Ozzy "Bark At The Moon" doll up my ass. Just saying. Beard
Suspect
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Official Confessions Thread   The Official Confessions Thread - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Official Confessions Thread

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 6 Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Lifer :: General :: General Discussion -